Jeff Tennis Edges Pomona-Pitzer 6-3 During Spring Break
Senior Jen Murphy paired with Laura Stein to
win 8-1 against their Pomona doubles opponent.
POMONA, CA - The second-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team returned to the courts this afternoon to take on sixth-ranked Pomona-Pitzer. The Jeffs rode a strong performance from the bottom portion of their line-up to run away with a 6-3 win.
The top of Amherst's ladder lost in both doubles and singles this afternoon, as the combination of senior Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) and Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) fell to the team of Finicane and Muesse from Pomona.
The number two and three doubles teams for the Lord Jeffs helped put Amherst in a strong position heading into singles play with a pair of wins. Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) and Jill Wexler (Beverly MA) continue to play well as a newly formed one-two punch and defeated Lange and Stevenson 9-7.
Finicane defeated Berckes in a three set match at the top singles spot, and senior Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) fell to Lange in the two hole as well. The pair of top tier losses put a lot of pressure on a young Amherst line-up.
The quartet of first-years that were slotted to play in the 3-6 matches came through for Amherst winning all four points. Carlissa and Laken King (Laurelton, NY) both won thier matchs, as did classmates Brown and Charlotte Wilinsky (Florence, MA).
Amherst will take a day off before travelling to face Cal-State Fullerton on Wednesday at 2 p.m. (PST)
1) Finicane/Muesse (P) def. Menezes/Berckes (A) 8-6
2) Brown/Wexler (A) def. Lange/Stevenson (P) 9-7
3) Murphy/Stein (A) def. Fisher/Line (P) 8-1
1) Finicane (P) def. Berckes (A) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
2) Lange (P) def. Snyder (A) 6-3, 6-2
3) Laken King (A) def. Muesse (P) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4) Brown (A) def. Myers (P) 6-3, 6-3
5) Carlissa King (A) def. Schaefer (P) 6-2, 6-0
6) Wilinsky (A) def. Claugh (P) 6-4, 6-1