Amherst Women Edge Bowdoin, 5-4; Lord Jeff Men Suffer 5-0 Loss
Senior Jennifer Murphy came from behind to pick up a crucial win in the No. 6 singles match.
SOUTH HADLEY, MA – The second-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team edged NESCAC rival and 22nd-ranked Bowdoin College this afternoon at Mount Holyoke College, 5-4, while the Amherst College men's tennis team fell to Bowdoin, 5-0. The Lord Jeff women improve to 10-1 (4-1 NESCAC) on the season and the men fall to 8-7 (2-3 NESCAC).
The top-ranked women’s pair of Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) and senior Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) was given a tough match by 14th-ranked Kristen Raymond and Sarah D’Elia, but the Lord Jeffs were able to hang on for a 9-7 win in the No. 1 doubles match. The young tandem of first-year Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) and sophomore Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) gave Amherst a crucial second point in doubles play, as Bowdoin’s Brett Davis and Rachel Waldman were handed an 8-5 loss in the No. 2 matchup.
Berckes and Brown took straight-set victories in the No. 1 and No. 5 singles matches, respectively, but the Polar Bears were able to take the No. 2, 3 and 4 matches. With Liz Pedowitz and Kaitlin Raymond teaming up to win Bowdoin’s lone point in doubles play, it was up to Amherst senior Jennifer Murphy (Simsbury, CT) to earn the fifth and final team point in the No. 6 matchup. Pedowitz earned a 6-4 win over Murphy in the first game, but the Amherst captain stormed back to win consecutive 6-4 games to lead her team to a 5-4 NESCAC win.
On the men’s side, junior Zack Lerner (Scarsdale, NY) and sophomore Dan Kim (Springfield, MO) teamed up for the second consecutive day but could not pull off another victory in the top doubles match. They—along with the Lord Jeffs’ No. 3 pair of Moritz Koenig (Hamburg, Germany) and Geoff Schwartz (Dallas, TX)—suffered a tough 9-8 loss, as the Polar Bears headed into singles play with a comfortable 3-0 advantage.
The top singles match pitted 11th-ranked Lerner against 16th-ranked Garrett Gates, and it was Gates who came away with the 6-3, 7-5 win. In the No. 2 matchup, Stephen Sullivan sealed the victory for his team by earning a 6-3, 6-2 win over Amherst senior Mike Mintz (New York, NY).
1. Alicia Menezes/Brittany Berckes (A) def. Kristen Raymond/Sarah D’Elia, 9-7
2. Natasha Brown/Jill Wexler (A) def. Brett Davis/Rachel Waldman, 8-5
3. Liz Pedowitz/Kaitlin Raymond (B) def. Jennifer Murphy/Laura Stein, 8-6
1. Brittany Berckes (A) def. Kristen Raymond (6-3, 7-6 [15-13])
2. Sarah D’Elia (B) def. Jill Wexler (6-3, 6-2)
3. Kaitlin Raymond (B) def. Alicia Menezes (6-4, 0-6, 6-1)
4. Brett Davis (B) def. Monica Snyder (6-3, 6-4)
5. Natasha Brown (A) def. Rachel Wabman (6-3, 6-0)
6. Jennifer Murphy (A) def. Liz Pedowitz (4-6, 6-4, 6-4)
1. Gates/Caughron (B) def. Lerner/Kim, 9-8
2. Sullivan/Neely (B) def. Mintz/Avrahami, 8-3
3. Anderson/White (B) def. Koenig/Schwartz, 9-8
1. Garrett Gates (B) def. Zack Lerner (6-3, 7-5)
2. Stephen Sullivan (B) def. Mike Mintz (6-3, 6-2)