Amherst Picks Up Shutout Win Over Claremont
Laken King won her match without
dropping a single game.
Amherst was rarely challenged against Claremont, jumping out to a 3-0 lead after doubles play. Amherst’s number twos, Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) and Laura Danzig (Allendale, NJ), topped Elisa La Cava and Sara Reed by a an 8-2 margin, while the Lord Jeff ones and threes edged their opposition 8-5 and 8-4, respectively.
In singles play, Amherst quickly wrapped up the match with the next two wins. The Lord Jeffs pulled out somewhat close two-set victories in the top three singles matches, while the lower half of the line-up dominated their opponents.
Sophomore Natasha Brown (Los Angeles, CA) defeated Alexandra Hsu at number four singles, 6-2 and 6-1, while Mimi Bell (Cleveland, OH) took down Sara Reed 6-1, 6-1. The story only got worse for Claremont at number six singles, where Amherst sophomore Laken King (Laurelton, NY) defeated Meredith Leyendecker 6-0, 6-0.
Amherst will play a match each of the next three days, before flying back to the east coast on Saturday. The Jeffs will face-off against NAIA foe Azusa Pacific and NCAA Division III opponents Redlands and Cal-State Fullerton.
Amherst 9 : Claremont-McKenna 0 – Claremont, CA – March 17, 2009
1) Berckes/Brown (A) def. Fox/Kornfeld (C) 8-5
2) Wexler/Danzig (A) def. La Cava/Reed (C) 8-2
3) Ankola/Bell (A) def. Hsu/Daly (C) 8-4
1) Brittany Berckes (A) def. Elisa La Cava (C) 6-5, 6-1
2) Carlissa King (A) def. Hannah Kornfeld (C) 6-3, 6-0
3) Jill Wexler (A) def. Jessica Fox (C) 6-3, 6-2
4) Natasha Brown (A) def. Alexandra Hsu (C) 6-2, 6-1
5) Mimi Bell (A) def. Sara Reed (C) 6-1, 6-1
6) Laken King (A) def. Meredith Leyendecker (C) 6-0, 6-0