Amherst Rallies for 5-4 Win Over Azusa Pacific
Brittany Berckes won a pair
of matches at Azusa.
AZUSA, CA – The Amherst College women’s tennis team played against NAIA foe Azusa Pacific University this afternoon in California. The Lord Jeffs and Cougars sat tied at 3-3 with three singles matches still playing, before taking two of the final three singles matches for a 5-4 win.
In doubles action, Azusa Pacific took a 2-1 lead with book-end wins at number one and three. Amherst grabbed a win at number two with rookie Laura Danzig (Allendale, NJ) pairing with junior Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) to win 8-4.
In singles play, Amherst quickly tied the match at 3-3 when sophomore Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) and Danzig won at numbers three and six, while Wexler fell to Sheryl Bon at number two singles.
With Amherst sophomore Carlissa King (Laurelton, NY) out of the line-up today, Amherst was forced to move four members of their singles ladder up a spot, and slide Danzig into singles action.
The Lord Jeff team responded to the challenge, and took the necessary two, of the final three, matches for a 5-4 win. Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) battled to a three-set win over Natalie McNall. Laken King (Laurelton, NY) won the deciding match at number five singles, beating Leah Hoffee 6-4, 1-6, 6-4.
With the win, Amherst improves to 5-1 on the year, and 4-0 during Spring Break. The Jeffs will face Redlands tomorrow at 3 p.m.
Amherst College : Azusa Pacific University – Azusa, CA - March 18, 2009
1) Bon/Wetzig (AP) def. Berckes/Brown (AC) 8-3
2) Danzig/Wexler (AC) def. Ignas/Tanaka (AP) 8-4
3) McNall/Jelsma (AP) def. Ankola/Bell (AC) 8-6
1) Brittany Berckes (AC) def. Natalie McNall (AP) 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
2) Sheryl Bon (AP) def. Jill Wexler (AC) 6-3, 6-3
3) Natasha Brown (AC) def. Casey Wetzig (AP) 6-3, 6-3
4) Emily Ignas (AP) def. Mimi Bell (AC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
5) Laken King (AC) def. Leah Hoffee (AP) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
6) Laura Danzig (AC) def. Marie Tanaka (AP) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1