Amherst Wraps Perfect Spring Break with 6-1 Win at Cal-State
FULLERTON, CA – The Amherst College women’s tennis team played against Cal-State Fullerton this afternoon in their final match of spring break on the west coast. The two sides played using Division I style scoring, with Amherst taking a 6-1 victory.
In doubles play, which in Division I scoring awards just one team point for whoever wins the best-of-three matches, Amherst took the numbers two and three spots in convincing fashion. In the top doubles match, the two pairs simply played a tiebreaker when tied at 7-7 in games. The Lord Jeff combo of Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) and Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) fell 7-5 in the tiebreaker.
Amherst took a 1-0 lead into singles play, riding wins from Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) with Laura Danzig (Allendale, NJ) and Anuja Ankola (Scarsdale, NY) with Mimi Bell (Cleveland, OH).
In doubles play, Amherst won all but the top match, as Berckes fell to Leslie Bullock in a third-set tiebreaker. Berckes and Bullock traded 6-1 set wins, before Bullock pulled out a 10-5 super-tiebreaker win in the third set.
Amherst took five straight set wins to sweep the remaining singles matches, with Laken King (Laurelton, NY) winning her match at number three while losing just two games total. Brown moved up to play at number two for the first time this week, and took down Shelly Inejikian 6-4, 6-3.
With the win, Amherst improves to 7-1 overall, and 6-0 this week. Amherst will return home tomorrow, and have a full week off before playing at Hamilton next Saturday at 1 p.m.
Amherst : Cal-State Fullerton – March 20, 2009- Fullerton, CA
1) Bullock/Inejikian (C) def. Berckes/Brown (A) 7-7 (7-5)
2) Wexler/Danzig (A) def. Cruz/Andrews (C) 8-4
3) Ankola/Bell (A) def. Agsalud/Akmedova (C) 8-2
1) Leslie Bullock (C) def Brittany Berckes (A) [1-6], 6-1, 10-5
2) Natasha Brown (A) def. Shelly Inejikian (C) 6-4, 6-3
3) Laken King (A def. Karina Akmedova (C) 6-2, 6-0
4) Jill Wexler (A) def. Jerusha Cruz (C) 6-1, 6-4
5) Carlissa King (A) def. Brandy Andrews (C) 6-2, 6-4
6) Mimi Bell (A) def. Lani Agsalud (C) 6-2, 6-1