Amherst Opens NESCAC Play with 9-0 Win Over Bates
Sophomore Carlissa King played in the No. 1 singles match for the first time this season, earning a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Bates' top player.
Each of Amherst’s doubles pairs earned an 8-1 victory to give the Jeffs a comfortable advantage heading into singles play. The sophomore tandem of Carlissa King (Laurelton, NY) and Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) cruised in the No. 1 doubles match, while junior Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) and first-year Laura Danzig (Allendale, NY) took care of business in the No. 2 match. Senior Anuja Ankola (Scarsdale, NY) and sophomore Mimi Bell (Cleveland, OH) rounded out the Amherst pairings.
Playing in the No. 1 singles match for the first time of the season, King earned a 6-1, 6-3 win over Bates’ Caryn Benisch. No Amherst player dropped more than three games in any set, with Brown and Bell leading the way with impressive victories. Brown cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Meg Anderson in the No. 3 match, while Bell defeated Erika Blauth by a 6-0, 6-1 margin at No. 5.
Amherst increased its winning streak to eight matches, as the Lord Jeffs are a perfect 7-0 in the Spring after having posted a 1-1 record during the Fall.
1. Carlissa King/Natasha Brown (A) def. Caryn Benisch/Alexandra Piacquad (B) 8-1
2. Jill Wexler/Laura Danzig (A) def. Brooke Morse-Karzen/Erika Blauth (B) 8-1
3. Anuja Ankola/Mimi Bell (A) def. Meg Anderson/Elizabeth Stege (B) 8-1
1. Carlissa King (A) def. Caryn Benisch (B) 6-1, 6-3
2. Jill Wexler (A) def. Alexandra Piacquad (B) 6-3, 6-0
3. Natasha Brown (A) def. Meg Anderson (B) 6-1, 6-1
4. Laken King (A) def. Brooke Morse-Karzen (B) 6-3, 6-0
5. Mimi Bell (A) def. Erika Blauth (B) 6-0, 6-1
6. Laura Danzig (A) def. Elizabeth Stege (B) 6-3, 6-2