Amherst Cruises to 9-0 Win Over Conn College
AMHERST, MA – The Amherst College women’s tennis team posted an impressive 9-0 sweep over NESCAC rival Conn College this afternoon at home. No Amherst player surrendered more than three games in their match, as Amherst won its 11th straight contest.
Amherst picked up a trio of impressive doubles wins, led by an 8-0 shutout at number three by junior Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) and Laura Danzig (Allendale, NJ). The Lord Jeff duo toppled Conn’s Naomi Hoffman and Lauren Lenz in quick fashion, setting the tone for doubles play as Amherst’s ones and twos followed suit with back-to-back 8-1 wins.
In singles play, Amherst closed out the decision with a pair of 6-0, 6-0 wins at the bottom of the ladder from Laken King (Laurelton, NY) and Mimi Bell (Cleveland, OH) over Hoffman and Lenz once again. With the two shutouts, Amherst took a 5-0 lead, clinching the victory and improving the team’s record to 10-0 this spring.
Moments later, Amherst wrapped up another trio of wins, with Wexler closing out Ariel Olswanger 6-0, 6-1, Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) topping Brittany Badik 6-3, 6-0, and Brittany Berckes beating Sara Yeransian 6-0, 6-2. The final point for Amherst came from Carlissa King (Laurelton, NY) as she toppled Alicia Cauterrucio 6-1, 6-1 just about five minutes later.
The Jeffs improve to 11-1 (4-0 NESCAC) on the year, while Conn falls to 1-7 this season. Amherst will have just 24 hours to recover before facing Wellesley tomorrow afternoon at Mount Holyoke College’s indoor courts at 5 p.m. with expected poor weather.
Amherst 9 : Conn College 0 ~ Amherst, Mass. ~ Friday, April 10, 2009
1) Berckes/Brown (A) def. Yeransian/Olswanger (C) 8-1
2) Ankola/Bell (A) def. Badik/Cauterrucio (C) 8-1
3) Wexler/Danzig (A) def. Hoffman/Lenz (C) 8-0
1) Brittany Berckes (A) def. Sara Yeransian (C) 6-0, 6-2
2) Carlissa King (A) def. Alicia Cauterrucio (C) 6-1, 6-1
3) Jill Wexler (A) def. Ariel Olswanger (C) 6-0, 6-1
4) Natasha Brown (A) def. Brittany Badik (C) 6-3, 6-0
5) Laken King (A) def. Naomi Hoffman (C) 6-0, 6-0
6) Mimi Bell (A) def. Lauren Lenz (C) 6-0, 6-0