Amherst Defeats Wellesley, 8-1, for 12th Straight Win
Jill Wexler (pictured) teamed up with Laura Danzig for an 8-0 win in the #3 doubles match.
Amherst—ranked sixth in the nation—took all six singles matches from 19th-ranked Wellesley without dropping a single set. Junior Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) was involved in the closest match of the day, as she battled for a 7-6 (7-1), 6-4 win over Marie Watanabe in the #1 match.
Berckes and sophomore Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) suffered an 8-5 loss to Mohona Siddique and Jacqueline Shen in the #1 doubles match to mark the lone point for the Blue. Brown avenged the loss by earning a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Jennifer Schwarzkopf in the #4 singles matchup.
Picking up the most convincing win of the day for Amherst was the #3 doubles pair of junior Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) and first-year Laura Danzig (Allendale, NY), who cruised to an 8-0 victory over Nathalie Herman and Marie Watanabe.
The Lord Jeffs return to action Saturday, Apr. 18 when they travel to take on archrival Williams College at 11 a.m. Williams handed Amherst its lone loss of the season on Oct. 11.
#6 Amherst College 8, #19 Wellesley College 1
1. Mohona Siddique/Jacqueline Shen (W) def. Brittany Berckes/Natasha Brown (A), 8-5
2. Anuja Ankola/Mimi Bell (A) def. Jennifer Schwarzkopf/Katelyn Ching (W), 8-6
3. Jill Wexler/Laura Danzig (A) def. Nathalie Herman/Marie Watanabe (W), 8-0
1. Brittany Berckes (A) def. Marie Watanabe (W) 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
2. Carlissa King (A) def. Mohona Siddique (W) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jill Wexler (A) def. Jacqueline Shen (W) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
4. Natasha Brown (A) def. Jennifer Schwarzkopf (W) 6-1, 6-2
5. Laken King (A) def. Grace Cheng (W) 6-1, 6-0
6. Mimi Bell (A) def. Nathalie Herman 6-1, 6-1