Amherst Tops Hamilton 9-0 for 13th Straight Win
Senior Anuja Ankola won a pair of matches against Hamilton.
Amherst entered two new doubles pairings against the Continentals, and took a 3-0 lead into singles action. The traditional pairing of Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) and Laura Danzig (Allendale, NY) bumped up to the top spot to take out Ashley Pardoe and Laura Brantley 8-3. Amherst senior tri-captains Anuja Ankola (Scarsdale, NY) and Tara Shabahang (Los Angeles, CA) paired to pick up an 8-5 win at number two doubles, while sophomore Mimi Bell (Cleveland, OH) and Ashley McCall (Cincinnati, OH) won 8-1 at three.
In singles play, Wexler, Danzig and Ankola quickly closed out the match with straight set wins in the top three matches. None of the three surrendered more than two games in a single set, with Danzig leading the pack with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Brantley.
With the match decided, and play occurring indoors on just three courts, matches four, five and six were played with single-set pro-set scoring in place. Shabahang, Moulton and McCall closed out another trio of Amherst victories, to seal the decision at 9-0.
Amherst won its 13th straight match of the spring, and will close out the regular season on Saturday afternoon at Middlebury. The NESCAC Tournament is set to kick off May 1-3,2009 at Williams College.
Amherst 9 : 0 Hamilton – Amherst, MA – Tuesday, April 21, 2009
1) Wexler/Danzig (A) def. Pardoe/Brantley (H) 8-3
2) Ankola/Shabahang (A) def. Barany/Mattern (H) 8-5
3) McCall/Bell (A) def. Greenberg/Thayer (H) 8-1
1) Jill Wexler (A) def. Ashley Pardoe (H) 6-1, 6-2
2) Laura Danzig (A) def. Laura Brantley (H) 6-0, 6-1
3) Anuja Ankola (A) def. Deborah Barany (H) 6-1, 6-2
4) Tara Shabahang (A) def. Caroline Greenberg (H) 8-4
5) Melissa Moulton (A) def. Amelia Mattern (H) 8-5
6) Ashley McCall (A) def. Hannah Weisman (H) 8-1