Amherst Falls to Williams in First Dual Match of 2008
Natasha Brown picked up a singles win against
Williams in the losing effort.
The young Amherst squad played well in earning three singles wins, but a 3-0 deficit was too much to overcome against the defending national champion Ephs. Junior Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) fell into an early hole in the No. 1 singles match but was able to storm back and win the second and third sets against Cary Gibson, 6-2 and 6-0. Berckes’ doubles partner, sophomore Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) was victorious in the No. 3 hole, defeating Ashley Parsons in two sets.
First-year Laura Danzig (Allendale, NY) dropped her first dual match of her collegiate career, falling to Annie Hancock 6-3, 7-5 in the No. 5 match. Junior Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) rounded out Amherst’s singles victories with a 7-5, 3-6, 10-5 win against Kathryn Friedman.
The Lord Jeffs return to action Sunday, Oct. 12 when they host Wesleyan University at 11 a.m.
Williams College defeats Amherst College,6-3
1. Cary Gibson/Nicole Reich (W) def. Brittany Berckes/Natasha Brown (A), 8-4
2. Genny Loomis/Kristin Alotta (W) def. Jill Wexler/Laura Danzig (A), 8-5
3. Annie Hancock/Ashley Parsons (W) def. Anuja Ankola/Carlissa King (A), 8-2
1. Brittany Berckes (A) def. Cary Gibson (W): 6-7, 6-0, 6-0
2. Nicole Reich (W) def. Carlissa King (A): 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Natasha Brown (A) def. Ashley Parsons (W): 6-3, 6-1
4. Kristin Alotta (W) def. Laken King (A): 6-4, 6-3
5. Annie Hancock (W) def. Laura Danzig (A): 6-3, 7-5
6. Jill Wexler (A) def. Kathryn Friedman (W): 7-5, 3-6, 10-5