Amherst Opens Spring Schedule with 7-2 Win at St. Petersburg
Caroline Richman '13 earned convincing wins at No. 5 singles and No. 3 doubles against St. Petersburg.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL – The top-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team opened its spring schedule with a 7-2 win over St. Petersburg College, a highly-ranked program in the National Junior College Athletic Association.
The Lord Jeffs swept Tuesday’s doubles matches and won the bottom four singles bouts to begin their southern trip on the right foot. Jordan Brewer ’14 (Woodland Hills, CA) and Gabby Devlin ’14 (McLean, VA) edged out an 8-6 win in the top doubles match, but the other two doubles points were won in convincing fashion. Natasha Brown ’11 (Woodland Hills, CA) and Laura Danzig ’12 (Allendale, NY) earned an 8-2 win at No. 2, while Jennifer Newman ’14 (Haverford, PA) and Caroline Richman ’13 (Pacific Palisades, CA) surrendered only one point at No. 3.
Coming in at No. 3 in the ITA's most recent NJCAA Women’s National Team Rankings, St. Petersburg picked up its two points with straight-set wins over Brewer and Danzig in the first and second singles matches, respectively. Devlin, Richman and Brown were impressive in the second half of the lineup, while Carlissa King ’11 (Bayside, NY) joined the group for a 6-4, 6-3 victory at No. 3.
The Lord Jeffs will take on another NJCAA opponent when they travel to Ruskin, Fla., to face eighth-ranked Hillsborough Community College Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. Amherst will then try its hand against Division II powerhouses Lynn (Boca Raton, FL) and Barry (Miami Shores, FL) on Friday and Saturday.
1) Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A) def. Greta Veinberga/Jovana Vasic (SPC), 8-6
2) Natasha Brown/Laura Danzig (A) def. Yurina Kunishima/Stephanie Dunseith (SPC), 8-2
3) Jennifer Newman/Caroline Richman (A) def. Madlena Gueorguiev/Tiffany Easton (SPC), 8-1
1) Greta Veinberga (SPC) def. Jordan Brewer (A) 6-2, 6-2
2) Jovana Vasic (SPC) def. Laura Danzig (A) 6-1, 6-1
3) Carlissa King (A) def. Yurina Kunishima (SPC) 6-4, 6-3
4) Gabby Devlin (A) def. Stephanie Dunseith (SPC) 6-0, 6-2
5) Caroline Richman (A) def. Madlena Gueorguiev (SPC) 6-4, 6-0
6) Natasha Brown (A) def. Tiffany Easton (SPC) 6-0, 6-1