Amherst Outlasts Lynn in Five-Hour Marathon, 5-4
Gabby Devlin '14 earned a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 4 singles.
BOCA RATON, FL – In a five-hour battle between the top-ranked women’s tennis team in Division III and the third-ranked team in Division II, Amherst College emerged with a 5-4 win over Lynn University Friday evening in Boca Raton, Fla. The Lord Jeffs improve to 4-0 and will wrap up their spring break trip by taking on Barry University—the fourth-ranked team in Division II—Saturday morning.
Lynn took the No. 1 doubles bout in a tiebreaker and won the top three singles matches, but the bottom of Amherst’s lineup came through to preserve the victory. Gabby Devlin ’14 (McLean, VA) and Natasha Brown ’11 (Woodland Hills, CA) won in straight sets at No. 4 and No. 6, respectively, while Caroline Richman ’13 (Pacific Palisades, CA) came from behind to win at No. 5 after dropping her first set, 7-5. Richman edged out a win in the second set and was leading 4-1 in the third before her opponent retired.
Brown and Laura Danzig ’12 (Allendale, NY) teamed up for an 8-4 win in the number two doubles match, and Richman joined Jennifer Newman ’14 (Haverford, PA) to earn an 8-5 victory at number three.
Amherst College def. Lynn University, 5-4
1) Eleonora Iannozzi/Ioana Ivan (L) def. Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A), 9-8(3)
2) Natasha Brown/Laura Danzig (A) def. Magdalena Ekert/Andrea Berkova (L), 8-4
3) Jennifer Newman/Caroline Richman (A) def. Roxana Alexandru/Aleks Vukadinovic (L), 8-5
1) Isabell Raich (L) def. Jordan Brewer (A) 6-3, 6-2
2) Ioana Ivan (L) def. Laura Danzig (A) 6-3, 6-1
3) Jessica Yanoff (L) def. Carlissa King (A) 6-2, 6-0
4) Gabby Devlin (A) def. Andrea Berkova (L) 6-2, 7-5
5) Caroline Richman (A) def. Aleks. Vukadinovic (L) 5-7, 7-6(7), 4-1, retired
6) Natasha Brown (A) def. Roxana Alexandru (L) 6-3, 6-1