Amherst Concludes Florida Trip with 7-2 Loss at Barry
Amherst will return to campus with a 4-1 record.
MIAMI SHORES, FL – The Amherst College women’s tennis team concluded its spring break trip in Florida with a 7-2 loss to Barry University, the ITA’s fourth-ranked team in Division II. The Lord Jeffs will return to campus with a 4-1 record as the top-ranked team in Division III.
Barry improved to 12-0 on the season thanks to five straight-set wins in singles play and a pair of doubles victories. Gabby Devlin ’14 (McLean, VA) accounted for Amherst’s lone singles point, as she earned a 6-2, 6-3 win over Caroline Wendling at No. 4.
Devlin also had a hand in Amherst’s only doubles point, as she teamed up with classmate Jordan Brewer ’14 (Woodland Hills, CA) to defeat Barbi Pocza and Angie Werschel in the top matchup, 8-4.
The Lord Jeffs will return to action Thursday, Mar. 31, when they travel to take on Wesleyan University in the first conference match of the season.
Barry University def. Amherst College, 7-2
1) Barbi Pocza (B) def. Jordan Brewer (A) 6-1, 6-2
2) Angie Werschel (B) def. Laura Danzig (A) 6-2, 6-2
3) Laura Boguet (B) def. Carlissa King (A) 6-0, 6-1
4) Gabby Devlin (A) def. Caroline Wendling (B) 6-2, 6-3
5) Mona Mansour (B) def. Natasha Brown (A) 6-1, 6-1
6) Julie Stas (B) def. Mimi Bell (A) 6-1, 6-3
1) Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A) def. Barbi Pocza/Angie Werschel (B) 8-4
2) Laura Boguet/Alex Gwizdowski (B) def. Natasha Brown/Laura Danzig (A) 8-6
3) Julie Stas/Olivia Matuszak (B) def. Jennifer Newman/Caroline Richman (A) 8-2