Jeffs Open Weekend with 7-2 Win at Colby
WATERVILLE, ME – The top-ranked Amherst College women’s tennis team opened its NESCAC weekend with a 7-2 win over Colby College Saturday morning in Waterville, Maine. The Lord Jeffs will stay on the road to take on second-ranked Williams College Sunday at 1 p.m.
The Lord Jeffs (10-1, 3-0 NESCAC), who regained the No. 1 spot in this week’s ITA national rankings, swept doubles play and won four of six singles matches on Saturday. Isabel Camacho ’14 (New York, NY) and Zoe Pangalos ’14 (New York, NY) highlighted the doubles portion of the match by teaming up for an 8-0 win in the top spot.
Pangalos and Camacho then combined for two more team points with wins in the number three and number five singles matches, respectively. Camacho edged Colby’s Kathryn Vergeyle in a marathon first-set tiebreaker (14-12) before picking up a 6-1 win in the second set. Lauren Slutsky ’14 (Palm City, FL) earned a 6-1, 6-1 victory in the top match, while Kim Snyder ’12 (Newton, MA) picked up a 6-3, 6-0 win at number two.
Sunday’s encounter with the Ephs will be a rematch of the Oct. 2 meeting that saw the Lord Jeffs earn a 5-4 victory over then-top-ranked Williams. The lower-ranked team has won each of the past five meetings in the rivalry.
#1 Amherst College def. Colby CollegE, 7-2
1) Isabel Camacho/Zoe Pangalos (A) def. Katie Muto/Tess Perese (C) 8-0
2) Kim Snyder/Lauren Slutsky (A) def. Kathryn Vergeyle/Sarah Wiener (C) 8-6
3) Sarah Nyirjesy/Maggie Seaver (A) def. Sally Holmes/Katie Brezinski (C) 8-4
1) Lauren Slutsky (A) def. Katie Muto (C) 6-1, 6-1
2) Kim Snyder (A) def. Tess Perese (C) 6-3, 6-0
3) Zoe Pangalos (A) def. Katie Brezinski (C) 6-2, 6-2
4) Sarah Wiener (C) def. Sarah Nyirjesy (A) 2-6, 6-4, 10-6
5) Isabel Camacho (A) def. Kathryn Vergeyle (C) 7-6(12), 6-1
6) Sally Holmes (C) def. Alex Budd (A) 6-3, 6-3