Top-Ranked Amherst Earns 7-2 Win at No. 2 Williams
Carlissa King '11 came out on the winning
end of a hard-fought No. 3 singles match.
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA – The top-ranked Amherst College women’s tennis team wrapped up a perfect weekend with a 7-2 win over second-ranked Williams College, marking the second time this year the Lord Jeffs have gotten the best of their archrivals.
Amherst (11-1, 4-0 NESCAC) leads Williams (8-3, 3-1) in the all-time series, 33-23, and has won 17 of the past 22. Sunday’s result snapped a stretch of five consecutive meetings in which the lower-ranked team had come out on top, as Amherst successfully defended its No. 1 ITA national ranking.
Amherst had little trouble sweeping doubles play against the Ephs, beginning with first-years Jordan Brewer (Woodland Hills, CA) and Gabby Devlin (McLean, VA) earning an 8-2 win over Nicole Reich and Lucy Marchese in the top spot. Laura Danzig ’12 (Allendale, NY) and Natasha Brown ’11 (Woodland Hills, CA) won by the same score at No. 2, while Caroline Richman ’13 (Pacific Palisades, CA) and Jennifer Newman ’14 (Haverford, PA) took the number three matchup by a score of 8-5.
The top singles match featured the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked players in the Northeast, but it was Kristin Alotta who pulled off the minor upset for the Ephs by defeating Brewer, 6-1, 6-0. Kathleen Elkins defeated Devlin at number four, but the rest of the singles matches belonged to Amherst.
Danzig and Richman won in straight sets at numbers two and five, while Carlissa King ’11 (Bayside, NY) came out on the winning end of a marathon with Marchese (7-6, 4-6, 13-11). Brown dropped her first set to Kara Shoemaker in the sixth match but would come all the way back, winning the second set in a tiebreaker before closing out the victory with a 10-4 result in the third frame.
The Jeffs have now won seven straight on the season and will next face fifth-ranked Tufts on Tuesday, Apr. 19 in Medford, Mass.
#1 Amherst College def. #2 Williams College, 7-2
1) Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A) def. Nicole Reich/Lucy Marchese (W) 8-2
2) Laura Danzig/Natasha Brown (A) def. Taylor French/Kristin Alotta (W) 8-2
3) Caroline Richman/Jennifer Newman (A) def. Nancy Worley/Caroline Capute (W) 8-5
1) Kristin Alotta (W) def. Jordan Brewer (A) 6-1, 6-0
2) Laura Danzig (A) def. Nancy Worley (W) 6-4, 6-1
3) Carlissa King (A) def. Lucy Marchese (W) 7-6, 4-6, 13-11
4) Kathleen Elkins (W) def. Gabby Devlin (A) 6-3, 6-0
5) Caroline Richman (A) def. Caroline Capute (W) 7-5, 6-1
6) Natasha Brown (A) def. Kara Shoemaker (W) 2-6, 7-6, 10-4