Bell Picks up Clinching Point in Amherst's 5-4 Win at Tufts
Mimi Bell '11 earned the clinching point at No. 6.
MEDFORD, MA – Just two days after defeating the second-ranked women’s tennis team in Division III, Amherst College came out on the winning end of a 5-4 result at fifth-ranked Tufts University. The Lord Jeffs improve to 12-1 (5-0 NESCAC) and have now won eight consecutive matches.
Tufts (11-3, 4-1 NESCAC) began the season ranked ninth in Division III but quickly moved into the top five thanks to wins at No. 4 Chicago and No. 8 Washington & Lee. Another upset would be just out of reach for the Jumbos, who split the singles matches but were edged in doubles play, 2-1.
Amherst’s first-year tandem of Jordan Brewer (Woodland Hills, CA) and Gabby Devlin (McLean, VA) began the week as the top-ranked duo in the Northeast, and they demonstrated why with an 8-4 win over Julia Browne and Shelci Bowman, who are ranked second in the region. Jennifer Newman ’14 (Haverford, PA) and Caroline Richman ’13 (Pacific Palisades, CA) also picked up a point for Amherst with an 8-6 win at number three.
The Jeffs earned singles wins at numbers two, four and six, while the Jumbos took points at one, three and five. Three matches required a third set, as Carlissa King ’11 (Bayside, NY) came from behind to defeat Lindsay Katz at number two (3-6, 6-1, 6-4). Richman won at number four in straight sets, with Mimi Bell ’11 (Cleveland, OH) wrapping up her team’s victory by taking care of Edwina Stewart at number six in a second-set tiebreaker, 7-3.
The Lord Jeffs will return to action this weekend when they host Trinity College Saturday at noon and Bowdoin College Sunday at 10 a.m.
#1 Amherst College def. #5 Tufts University, 5-4
1) Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A) def. Julia Browne/Shelci Bowman (T) 8-4
2) Lindsay Katz/Eliza Flynn (T) def. Laura Danzig/Mimi Bell (A) 9-8(4)
3) Jennifer Newman/Caroline Richman (A) def. Jennifer LaCara/Dana Siegel (T) 8-6
1) Julia Browne (T) def. Laura Danzig (A) 7-6(1), 6-2
2) Carlissa King (A) def. Lindsay Katz (T) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
3) Shelci Bowman (T) def. Gabby Devlin (A) 0-6, 6-3, 7-5
4) Caroline Richman (A) def. Eliza Flynn (T) 6-3, 6-2
5) Lauren Hollender (T) def. Laken King (A) 3-6, 7-6(4), 6-2
6) Mimi Bell (A) def. Edwina Stewart (T) 6-1, 7-6(3)