Jeffs Back in NESCAC Finals After 5-3 Win at Middlebury
Caroline Richman '13 has won 12 consecutive singles matches.
Contact: Justin Long
MIDDLEBURY, VT – The top-seeded and top-ranked Amherst College women’s tennis team stayed in the running for a seventh consecutive conference title with a 5-3 win over Middlebury College in the NESCAC Championship semifinals Saturday afternoon.
The Lord Jeffs improve to 16-1 with their 12th consecutive victory, while the Panthers drop to 10-5. Amherst, which has won each of the past six NESCAC titles outright, will take on either Williams or Tufts Sunday at 1 p.m. in the finals.
Caroline Richman ’13 (Pacific Palisades, CA) and Jennifer Newman ’14 (Haverford, PA) gave Amherst its first point with an 8-4 win in the number three doubles match, bumping the duo’s win streak to nine on the season.
Amherst seniors Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) and Mimi Bell (Cleveland, OH) then won by the same score at number two to make it a 2-0 contest, but the Jeffs’ first-year tandem of Jordan Brewer ’14 (Woodland Hills, CA) and Gabby Devlin ’14 (McLean, VA) dropped an 8-6 result at number three, marking only their second loss of the season.
Middlebury tied the match at 2-2 when Brewer was forced to retire during the second set of the top singles match. Laken King ’11 (Bayside, NY) handed the lead back to Amherst with a win at number six, and Richman made it 4-2 with her 6-4, 6-0 victory in the fourth match. Richman is now 12-0 in singles play in her past 12 dual matches.
Leah Kepping brought Middlebury back within one when she defeated Carlissa King ’11 (Bayside, NY) in the second slot, but Devlin sealed the match for Amherst by picking up a 6-1, 6-4 win over Brittney Faber at number three. Left playing for Amherst was Brown, who won her first set in a tiebreaker.
2011 NESCAC Women’s Tennis Championship (@ Middlebury)
No. 1 Amherst def. No. 4 Middlebury, 5-3
1) Leah Kepping/Brittney Faber (M) def. Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A) 8-6
2) Natasha Brown/Mimi Bell (A) def. Anna Burke/Victoria Aiello (M) 8-4
3) Caroline Richman/Jennifer Newman (A) def. Dorrie Paradies/Salley Wilkey (M) 8-4
1) Victoria Aiello (M) def. Jordan Brewer (A) 6-4, 3-0, ret.
2) Leah Kepping (M) def. Carlissa King (A) 6-0, 6-4
3) Gabby Devlin (A) def. Brittney Faber (M) 6-1, 6-4
4) Caroline Richman (A) def. Sally Wilkey (M) 6-4, 6-0
5) Natasha Brown (A) led Anna Burke (M) 7-6 (5), 2-3 (DNF)
6) Laken King (A) def. Dorrie Paradies (M) 6-2, 6-3