Jeffs Advance to Regional Finals with 5-0 Win Over New Paltz
Amherst (17-2) improved to 38-18 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and will now be looking to advance out of the regional rounds for the 16th time in the past 17 years. The Hawks (16-5) had their win streak snapped at six but end their season with a program record for victories as champions of the SUNYAC.
The Jeffs took all three doubles points in convincing fashion, beginning with Jennifer Newman ’14 and Caroline Richman ’13 improving to 13-2 as a duo with an 8-2 win at No. 3. Jordan Brewer ’14 and Gabby Devlin ’14 followed with a victory by the same score at No. 1, while Mimi Bell ’11 and Natasha Brown ’11 moved to 4-0 as a pair after their 8-4 win in the No. 2 match.
Amherst won the first set in all six singles matches, but only Brown and Laken King ’11 would get to finish. After King defeated Paige Munroe by a score of 6-1, 6-0 at number six, Brown closed things out by not surrendering a single game in the number five matchup. Brown and King are now a combined 14-3 in singles matches this spring.
Sunday’s regional final between Amherst and Middlebury will be a rematch of the NESCAC Championship semifinals, in which the Lord Jeffs came out on the winning end of a hard-fought 5-3 result. These teams also met last year in the NCAA regional finals, with Amherst advancing after a 5-1 win.
Sunday's match is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Should inclement weather force play indoors, the match will begin at 2 p.m. at Grande Meadows Tennis Club in Longmeadow, Mass.
NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Regional Championship
Second Round – Saturday, May 14 (@ Amherst College)
Amherst def. New Paltz State, 5-0
1) Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A) def. Lindsey Garyn/Stephanie Schara (N) 8-2
2) Mimi Bell/Natasha Brown (A) def. Kayla DiPaulo/Montana Wilson (N) 8-4
3) Jennifer Newman/Caroline Richman (A) def. Alli Esposito/Paige Munroe (N) 8-2
1) Jordan Brewer (A) led Stephanie Schara (N) 6-1, 2-0 (DNF)
2) Carlissa King (A) led Montana Wilson (N) 6-0, 4-0 (DNF)
3) Gabby Devlin (A) led Lindsey Garyn (N) 6-1 (DNF)
4) Caroline Richman (A) led Kayla DiPaulo (N) 6-0, 1-0 (DNF)
5) Natasha Brown (A) def. Alli Esposito (N) 6-0, 6-0
6) Laken King (A) def. Paige Munroe (N) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish (Doubles): 3, 1, 2
Order of Finish (Singles): 6, 5