Amherst Defeats Middlebury in NCAA Regional Finals, 5-0
Contact: Justin Long
AMHERST, MA – The Amherst College women’s tennis team continued its postseason run with a 5-0 win over Middlebury College Sunday afternoon in the regional finals of the NCAA Division III Championship. The Lord Jeffs will head to the national quarterfinals with an 18-2 record, while the Panthers end their season at 11-6.
Amherst will take on Tufts University (16-5) Tuesday, May 24 at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center and Pauley Tennis Complex in Claremont, Calif. When the Lord Jeffs and Jumbos met during the regular season, Amherst edged out a 5-4 victory after taking two out of three doubles points.
Picking up Amherst’s first point on Sunday were Mimi Bell and Natasha Brown, who defeated Anna Burke and Victoria Aiello at number two by a score of 8-3 for their fifth consecutive win of the season. First-years Jordan Brewer and Gabby Devlin then bumped Amherst’s lead to 2-0 with an 8-5 result in the top matchup, followed by Jennifer Newman and Caroline Richman coming out on top at number three to complete the doubles sweep.
Brewer gave the Jeffs their fourth point when she defeated Aiello in the number one singles match, 6-3, 6-2. Carlissa King then sealed the win at number two, earning a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Leah Kepping. When play was stopped, Middlebury’s Brittney Faber was leading Devlin at number three, 7-6(4), 2-1. The remaining three singles matches were all tied up in their first sets.
Due to inclement weather, Sunday’s match was moved indoors to the Grande Meadows Tennis Club in Longmeadow, Mass. The result marked the second time in as many years Amherst has ended Middlebury’s season, as the Jeffs improved to 39-18 in NCAA Tournament play and advanced out of the regional rounds for the 16th time in the past 17 years.
The seven teams joining Amherst in the national quarterfinals can be found on the NCAA’s interactive bracket.
NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Regional Championship
Regional Finals – Sunday, May 15 (@ Longmeadow, MA)
Amherst def. Middlebury, 5-0
1) Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A) def. Brittney Faber/Leah Kepping (M) 8-5
2) Mimi Bell/Natasha Brown (A) def. Anna Burke/Victoria Aiello (M) 8-3
3) Jennifer Newman/Caroline Richman (A) def. Dorrie Paradies/Sally Wilkey (M) 8-6
1) Jordan Brewer (A) def. Victoria Aiello (M) 6-3, 6-2
2) Carlissa King (A) def. Leah Kepping (M) 6-1, 6-4
3) Brittney Faber (M) led Gabby Devlin (A) 7-6(4), 2-1 (DNF)
4) Caroline Richman (A) vs. Sally Wilkey (M) 1-1 (DNF)
5) Natasha Brown (A) vs. Anna Burke (M) 2-2 (DNF)
6) Laken King (A) vs. Dorrie Paradies (M) 2-2 (DNF)
Order of Finish (Doubles): 2, 1, 3
Order of Finish (Singles): 1, 2