Second-Ranked Jeffs Knock Off No. 1 Johns Hopkins, 5-4
Contact: Matthew Hart
ATLANTA – The second-ranked Amherst College women’s tennis team notched its biggest win of the young spring on Saturday, edging top-ranked Johns Hopkins, 5-4, on the second day of competition at Emory’s Fab 7 Tournament.
After Amherst took two of three in doubles play, Jordan Brewer ’14 defeated Hopkins’ Hailey Hogan 6-0, 6-3 in the No. 1 singles contest to help clinch the win after Jen Newman ’14 and Zoe Pangalos ’14 had also won their singles pairings.
Brewer also helped the Jeffs to a point at first doubles as she teamed up with Gabby Devlin ’14 to take down Hogan and Elaine Baik, 8-5. Amherst made it 2-0 when Newman and Pangalos scored a tight 9-7 win at No. 2, edging Shannon Herndon and Sydney Lehman before Hopkins got one back with Abby Clark and Stephanie Rettig winning 9-8 (7-5) in the third doubles tiebreak over Caroline Richman ’13 and Safi Aly ’15.
With the Jeffs leading 2-1 entering singles competition, Newman made quick work of Baik, winning 6-1, 6-0 in the No. 2 match while Pangalos cruised past Clark in the fifth spot, 6-1, 6-1. Sydney Lehman notched a win for the Blue Jays at fourth singles as she downed Sue Ghosh ’16 in a pair of 6-1 games, but it would be too little too late with Brewer handling Hogan while Rettig beat Devlin at sixth singles, 6-3, 6-2. Hopkins drew within one on the final ledger thanks to a long third singles win for Herndon over Richman (5-6, 6-3, 10-6).
Amherst closes out its trip to Atlanta on Sunday with a 9 a.m. clash with No. 15 Washington & Lee.
NO. 2 AMHERST 5, NO. 1 JOHNS HOPKINS 4
1. Jordan Brewer (A) def. Hailey Hogan (J) 6-0, 6-3
2. Jen Newman (A) def. Elaine Baik (J) 6-1, 6-0
3. Shannon Herndon (J) def. Caroline Richman (A) 5-6, 6-3, 10-6
4. Sydney Lehman (J) def. Sue Ghosh (A) 6-1, 6-1
5. Zoe Pangalos (A) def. Abby Clark (J) 6-1, 6-1
6. Stephanie Rettig (J) def. Gabby Devlin (A) 6-3, 6-2
1. Brewer/Devlin (A) def. Hogan/Baik (J) 8-5
2. Newman/Pangalos (A) def. Herndon/Lehman (J) 9-7
3. Clark/Rettig (J) def. Richman/Safi Aly (A) 9-8 (7-5)