Jeffs Put Away Hamilton, 8-1
Contact: Matthew Hart
CLINTON, N.Y. – The top-ranked Amherst College women’s tennis team improved to 2-0 on the NESCAC season on Saturday morning with an 8-1 triumph at Hamilton College. Handing the Continentals (8-2, 0-1 NESCAC) just their second loss of the year, the Jeffs (6-1) swept doubles as they remained undefeated against Division III competition in their return to the Northeast.
Sarah Monteagudo ’16 starred atop the Amherst lineup on Saturday, winning at first singles after she and Isabel Camacho ’14 teamed up to defeat Hamilton’s Liz Detwiler and Meg Lee in the No. 1 doubles contest, 8-2. First-years Lara Min and Maddy Sung were even more efficient at second doubles, downing Alex Arenson and Mira Khanna, 8-1, before Mary Soyster ’14 and Kate Paul '13 finished off Carrie Uhlein and Bella Schoning, 8-4, for a 3-0 Amherst lead heading into singles play.
Monteagudo made quick work of Khanna at No. 1 singles, winning 6-1, 6-1 while Sung was breezing past Detwiler in the third spot, 6-0, 6-1. Schoning came back and took the tiebreaker from Camacho at second singles to deliver Hamilton its lone point with a 3-6, 6-2, 10-8 win, but Amherst controlled the bottom of the card as Lauren Slutsky ’14 held off Uhlein at No. 4, 6-2, 7-5, Min took the fifth match from Rachel Friedman, 6-3, 6-3, and Paul handled Sara Shaughnessy in the No. 6 tilt, 6-2, 6-4.
Amherst returns for its first home contest of the spring on Sunday as the Jeffs will face No. 8 Bowdoin at 12 p.m.
NO. 1 AMHERST 8, HAMILTON 1
1. Sarah Monteagudo (A) def. Mira Khanna 6-1, 6-1.
2. Bella Schoning (H) def. Isabel Camacho 3-6, 6-2 (10-8).
3. Maddy Sung (A) def. Liz Detwiler 6-0, 6-1.
4. Lauren Slutsky (A) def. Carrie Uhlein 6-2, 7-5.
5. Lara Min (A) def. Rachel Friedman 6-3, 6-3.
6. Kate Paul(A) def. Sara Shaughnessy 6-2, 6-4.
1. Monteagudo/Camacho (A) def. Detwiler/Meg Lee 8-2
2. Min/Sung (A) def. Alex Arenson/Khanna 8-1.
3. Mary Soyster/Paul (A) def. Uhlein/Schoning 8-4