Jeffs Cruise Past Endicott, 5-0
Contact: Mike O'Brien
AMHERST, Mass. – The second-ranked Amherst College women’s tennis team cruised past Endicott College in second round action of the NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Championships Friday at the Hampshire Tennis Club, 5-0.
The Jeffs improved to 19-3 on the year and have won 10 straight dual matches by a combined 75-7. With the win, they advance to the third round and will host MIT Saturday, May 10 at 12 p.m. If forced to play indoors due to weather, the teams will head to the Magic Lincer Tennis Academy in Windsor, Conn. at 1 p.m. Endicott’s season comes to an end following the loss as the Commonwealth Coast Conference champions finish the year at 15-4.
Amherst won decisively in both singles and doubles action en route to the sweep. The three-time national champion duo of Jordan Brewer ’14 and Gabby Devlin ’14 took No. 1 doubles (8-0) while Zoe Pangalos ’14 and Jen Newman ’14 claimed the No. 2 court (8-0), and Safi Aly ’15 and Sarah Monteagudo ’16 won from the No. 3 position (8-0).
The Purple & White needed just two wins in singles action to advance and they received those on the No. 3 and No. 4 courts. Newman swept No. 3 singles, 6-0, 6-0, and sophomore Sue Ghosh cruised to wins of 6-0, 6-0 in No. 4 singles. Brewer held a 6-1, 2-0 lead on the No. 1 court before Newman clinched the match, and Devlin held a 6-0, 4-0 advantage in the No. 2 spot.
No. 2 AMHERST 5, ENDICOTT 0
1. Brewer/Devlin (A) def. Heacox/Rhodes (E), 8-0
2. Pangalos/Newman (A) def. Newman/Potter (E), 8-0
3. Aly/Monteagudo (A) def. Zompa/MacLeod (E), 8-0
1. Brewer (A) vs. Heacox (E), 6-1, 2-0, unfinished
2. Devlin (A) vs. Newman (E), 6-0, 4-0, unfinished
3. Newman (A) def. Rhodes (E), 6-0, 6-0
4. Ghosh (A) def. Potter (E), 6-0, 6-0
5. Pangalos (A) vs. Deady (E), DNP
6. Monteagudo (A) vs. Zompa (E), DNP