Jeffs Headed to Quarterfinals, Sweep No. 13 MIT
Contact: Mike O'Brien
WINDSOR, Conn. – The second-ranked Amherst College women’s tennis team returns to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Championships for the sixth consecutive season following a 5-0 sweep of 13th-ranked MIT Saturday at the Magic Lincer Tennis Academy.
The Jeffs improved to 20-3 following the win and are now 51-23 in the national postseason tournament. Amherst is also 5-0 in its last five quarterfinal appearances and has reached the semifinals on eight occasions with one national championship crown (1999). With the loss, the Engineers finish the season with a 17-5 overall mark.
The two-time national champion doubles team of Jordan Brewer ’14 and Gabby Devlin ’14 improved to 30-1 from the No. 1 court this season with an 8-1 win. The Second Team All-NESCAC doubles team of seniors Jen Newman and Zoe Pangalos swept the No. 2 spot, 8-0, while Safi Aly ’15 and Sarah Monteagudo ’16 took an 8-1 win from the No. 3 court.
Amherst needed just two wins in singles play to claim the match as Brewer and Devlin claimed the No. 1 and No. 2 courts, respectively. Brewer won both sets by scores of 6-2 while Devlin swept sets one and two, 6-0.
The Jeffs will face eighth-ranked Carnegie Mellon in the quarterfinals beginning Monday, May 19. The match is scheduled to take place at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center in Claremont, Calif.
No. 2 AMHERST 5, No. 13 MIT 0
1. Brewer/Devlin (A) def. Tam/Kohrs (M), 8-1
2. Newman/Pangalos (A) def. Hsu/Lampl (M), 8-0
3. Aly/Monteagudo (A) def. Dutt/Lai (M), 8-1
1. Brewer (A) def. Kohrs (M), 6-2, 6-2
2. Devlin (A) def. W. Kong (M), 6-0, 6-0
3. Newman (A) vs. Tam (M), 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
4. Ghosh (A) vs. Lain (M), 1-6, 1-4, unfinished
5. Pangalos (A) vs. Hsu (M), 2-3, unfinished
6. Monteagudo (A) vs. V. Kong (M), DNP