Jeffs Suffer 10-8 Loss to Unbeaten Connecticut College

Cole Cherney '12 scored two goals in the loss.

Courtesy of Connecticut College Sports Information

NEW LONDON, CT – The undefeated Connecticut College men’s lacrosse team (4-0, 2-0 NESCAC) denied Amherst College (0-3, 0-2) on 16 of its 29 clearing situations Saturday afternoon en route to a 10-8 victory in New London. It was the first time the Lord Jeffs had lost to the Camels since April of 2001.  

Connecticut sophomore Mike O’Donnell broke up an entry pass with 1:22 remaining in regulation and the Camels added their 10th goal with only 10 seconds remaining in regultion to seal the victory. The teams each scored four times in the first quarter, twice in the third and once in the fourth, but the hosts out-scored the visitors in the second period, 3-1, in what was the deciding quarter.

Amherst College sophomore Cole Cherney (Chappaqua, NY) and senior Rob Denious (Bloomfield Hills, MI) each scored twice for the visitors, who were victorious in just eight of their 22 face-offs. Alex Fox (Garden City, NY) and Evan Redwood (Lutherville, MD) both had one goal and one assist in the setback for the Lord Jeffs.

Sophomore net-minder Matt Aizpruru (Minneapolis, MN) stopped 12 shots in the loss for Amherst.

The Camels stoned the Lord Jeffs on their first six clearing chances and opened up a 4-1 lead in the first quarter after John Lyons put in his second score of the day with 3:12 remaining. Amherst rallied with three scoring strikes over the closing 1:36 to pull even. Junior Parker Holcomb (Dallas, TX) scored the equalizer with 32 seconds remaining, winning the face-off and sprinting straight to the cage for the tying goal.

Cherney put Amherst on top 5-4 just 38 seconds into the second quarter with his second score. The Camels countered with the final three goals of the half, two of them coming off the stick of Eric Doran. With 15 seconds remaining, Ryan Hayes connected with Doran just outside the crease for a goal that vaulted the hosts out to a 7-5 advantage at the break.

Mark Mangano tallied 46 seconds into the third quarter to make it an 8-5 game. With 3:53 remaining, Mike Giambanco scored on a feed from Lyons and the Camels enjoyed their largest lead with a 9-5 advantage on the scoreboard.

Undeterred, Amherst rallied by scoring the next three goals, pulling to within one on a score from Denious with 14:11 remaining. The Lord Jeffs had two huge scoring chances down the stretch. With 5:23 to go, sophomore John Lenehan denied Brian McFeeley (Essex Fells, NJ) on a nifty looking turnaround shot to make the save. With 4:30 to go, Cherney drove to the left side of the cage but Lenehan was able to cut down the angle and make the stop to thwart the scoring bid. Doran added his third goal with 10 seconds left and the Camels were able to hold on for the 10-8 victory.

Doran paced the Camels on the offensive side of the ball with a team-high three goals in the victory. Lyons chipped in with two goals and an assist. O’Donnell finished with four ground balls and was swarming around the ball all afternoon. Senior defender Will Schumann also had four ground balls and Chuck Czerkawski won 11-of-16 face-offs for the Camels. Lenehan made 12 saves in 45:28 of relief duty for Connecticut College.

The Lord Jeffs will return to action Tuesday, Mar. 23, when they travel to Mount Ida for a 4 p.m. non-conference game.