Jeffs Drop OT Thriller at Colby, 11-10

Courtesy of Colby Sports Information


WATERVILLE, Maine - Colby’s Ian Deveau ’13 netted the game winning goal with 1:05 left in the first overtime session to give the Mules a thrilling 11-10 win over Amherst men’s lacrosse in Saturday’s season opener.

It was the third consecutive one-goal game between the league rivals with the Jeffs winning the teams’ previous two match-ups by scores of 9-8 and 7-6 (OT). On the decisive play, Colby's Chip Grossman ’15, who tied the game in regulation at 10-10 with just 1:02 to play, casually flipped the ball to Deveau, who ripped a blistering shot high and past Amherst goalie Rob Dickinson ’15 for the game winner.

Dylan Park ’16 had a fine debut for Amherst, scoring twice and dishing out two assists, while Devin Acton ’14, Jeff Izzo ’13, Kane Haffey ’16 and Sam Lawlor ’16 each finished with a pair of goals apiece.
John Jennings ’13 scored five goals to lead Colby. Going over 100 career points in the game, he now has 102 points on 93 goals and nine assists. Greg McKillop ’13 added one goal and three assists, while first-year John Alex Rutan netted his first collegiate score for the Mules.

Racing out to an early lead, Colby started the game with four goals in the opening 4:48. McKillop scored just 38 seconds into the game on a nice individual effort before Rutan made it 2-0 with 12:52 to play, taking a pass from Christian Kelso ’13 and converting on a break. Jennings then scored from McKillop with 12:03 left and added an unassisted goal with 10:12 remaining.

Settling down, Amherst received back-to-back unassisted goals by Park with 9:05 left and Acton on a nice rush to the cage with 6:47 remaining.

Finding the back of the net on a breakaway after McKillop caused a turnover on an attempted Amherst clear, Deveau pushed the lead to 5-2 with 5:06 left.

The Jeffs made it a 5-4 game after one quarter with two goals in the final 43 seconds of play. Lawlor scored his first collegiate goal with 43 seconds left and Acton followed with another just 17 seconds later.

The teams split goals in the second quarter and the Mules led 6-5 at halftime. Jennings again scored from McKillop with 6:34 to play before Izzo tallied from Park with 2:19 left.

Jennings got the Colby offense restarted just 27 seconds into the second half for a 7-5 margin before the Jeffs again cut the lead to one on Park's second goal. Deveau made it 8-6 after three quarters on a high blast.

After Haffey notched his first collegiate goal on Park's second assist of the game, Jennings moved the lead back to two at 9-7 when he scooped up a rebound on the near post and shoveled it into a wide open net with 12:44 remaining.

Amherst took control starting with Izzo's second goal with 7:25 to play. The visitors tied the game at 9-9 with 3:48 to play on Lawlor's second goal and then took their first lead of the afternoon at 10-9 when Acton made a nice feed to Haffey as he was going hard to the goal.

Colby’s Bjorn Knutson ’13 won a big face-off after the Amherst score and Grossman took a pass from McKillop and ripped another high shot for the tying goal. Knutson, who was injured shortly after the Grossman goal, was 12-for-23 on face-offs and scooped up a game-high 12 ground balls. Eric Eberhart ’13 won the overtime face-off in place of Knutson before Deveau later scored the sudden-victory goal.

Kelso led Colby's defense with a pair of caused turnovers, while Peter Willauer ’15 had three ground balls.

Danny Gold ’13 led Amherst with three caused turnovers, while John Gibbons ’15 won seven face-offs and had five ground balls.

Peter Reiley ’14 finished with 12 saves for Colby, while Dickinson overcame a tough start to finish with 11 stops.

Amherst returns to action on Sunday, Mar. 10 against Bates.