Jeffs Drop Second OT Heartbreaker at Bates, 10-9

Courtesy of Bates Sports Information


LEWISTON, Maine – Bates College senior Dan Hines ripped home the game-winning goal with 2:22 remaining in overtime as the host Bobcats scored a 10-9 victory over Amherst College in NESCAC men’s lacrosse action Sunday afternoon at Garcelon Field.

Bates (1-2, 1-1 NESCAC) picked up its first win in the young season, while Amherst (0-2, 0-2) remained winless after dropping another OT heartbreaker, 11-10, at Colby on Saturday. Devin Acton ’14 scored four goals and assisted on another for the Lord Jeffs while Dylan Park ’16 added two key goals late to help Amherst force overtime and Quinn Moroney ’16 scored a goal to go with a game-high three assists.

Hines ended a 3-0 Amherst run and capped a dramatic sequence with the game-winner. With 3:12 left in overtime, Bates goalie Dan Bell ’15 turned away Park's close-range shot. The ball caromed out of the crease and the Bobcats gained three ground balls before they could get out of their defensive third. The Bobcats cleared and the offense settled momentarily before Hines hesitated, turned and shot at about a 30-degree angle over his left shoulder past Amherst goalie Rob Dickinson ’15.

Rob Highland ’13 and Will Gilkeson ’14 scored three goals apiece for Bates while Jack Strain ’15 tallied two goals and one assist and Hines added the goal and two assists. In a game in which each one mattered, Bates won 13 of 23 faceoffs and 45 of 80 ground balls.

Bell, who made his collegiate debut in yesterday's 10-8 loss to Middlebury, made 10 saves for Bates en route to his first win. Dickinson made 12 saves as Bates outshot Amherst by a slight 36-33 margin in the evenly-played contest.

The game saw at least five major momentum swings. Amherst quickly erased Bates' 1-0 lead with two goals by Acton inside the opening four minutes. The Bobcats shored up their defense for the remainder of the quarter, then embarked on a quick 3-0 run for a 4-2 lead after one.

The Lord Jeffs controlled the second quarter for the most part, outshooting Bates 12-9 and evening up the game at 5-5 by halftime. Amherst made it a 4-0 run 1:14 into the third quarter, as senior Jeff Izzo's goal from Kane Haffey ’16 gave the Jeffs a 6-4 lead.

But a quick answer by the Bobcats initiated Bates' game-deciding 5-0 streak. Gilkeson scored with 10:45 left in the fourth period, giving Bates a game-high three-goal lead at 9-6. But after Amherst won the next faceoff, a holding penalty against Bates was converted into a man-up goal by Acton, his fourth score of the game, on another Moroney assist, only 63 seconds after Bates' goal. Dickinson saved a shot by Bates' Kyle Starr ’13, and the Jeffs patiently set up a shot by Park that went wide. The Jeffs maintained possession and with 5:47 left, Park connected on a Moroney assist, closing the gap to 9-8.

Bates took two off-target shots, then turned the ball over with 2:55 left in regulation, and with 2:11 remaining Park tied the game with an unassisted tally. Bates won the next faceoff but turned the ball over. Amherst called timeout with 58 seconds to go in regulation but couldn't get off a shot before losing control in Bates' defensive zone. Acton scooped the ground ball and fired off a wide shot just before regulation time expired.

Eager to escape the state of Maine, Amherst will look to break into the win column at home as the Jeffs host non-conference rival Eastern Connecticut State University on Wednesday, March 13, at 4:30 p.m.