Amherst's Unbeaten Streak Hits Eight with 2-2 Overtime Tie Against Conn.

Cole Anderson helped Amherst extend its unbeaten streak to eight
games with 33 saves against Conn. College.

AMHERST, MA – The 9th-ranked Amherst College men’s hockey team extended its unbeaten streak to eight games this evening with a 2-2 overtime tie against NESCAC rival Connecticut College. Amherst shifts to 9-2-2 (4-2-2 NESCAC) with the result, while the Camels sit at 3-9-1 (2-5-1) after the result.

Just over five minutes into the first period, Connecticut took a 1-0 lead on a power-play goal by sophomore Julien Boutet. During a scramble in front of Amherst goaltender Cole Anderson (Sylvan Lake, Alberta), Boutet tipped the puck over Anderson and in. Assists on the opening goal were awarded to Ryan Riffe and Sean Curran.

In the second period, Amherst sophomore Eddie Effinger (Belleville, IL) sparked the Lord Jeff attack with a huge hit seven minutes in. Shortly afterward, Effinger missed a scoring chance following a great combination between Luke Arnold (Lincoln, MA) and Mark Colp (Wareham, MA). At the 13:53 mark in the second, senior Ted Vickers (Chilliwack, BC) scored on the power play for Amherst, putting in the rebound of a Colp shot. Effinger was given the second assist on the tying goal.

Late in the second period, Anderson made a great save as a Connecticut player took a shot from the slot. Anderson moved from left to right for the save with his leg pad. While Anderson made saves late in the second, it took less than half a minute of the third period for the Camels to regain the lead. After a shot by Boutet, the rebound was put past Anderson by Curran. Boutet and Sean Driscoll were given the helpers on the score that put the Camels ahead, 2-1.

Camel netminder Greg Parker made a great glove save on Amherst rookie Johnny Van Siclen (Carlisle, MA) eight minutes into the third period, and then one minute later denied Colp’s bid to tie the game. The Amherst pressure paid off, and 13:40 into the period Arnold put in the rebound off a Vickers shot that was saved. The Lord Jeffs nearly stole the win two minutes later, but junior transfer Joe Brock (Cumming, GA) was denied by Parker after a spin move through the slot.

Neither team broke the 2-2 tie before regulation ended and while both teams played for the game winner in the extra stanza, time simply ran out. Parker turned away 42 shots in an impressive effort, including 21 in the third period, while Anderson made 33 saves, including four in the extra session. Amherst will host Tufts University Saturday at 3 p.m., while the Camels will travel to face Hamilton College.