Unbeaten Streak Hits 13 With 4-0 Win Over So. Maine

Cole Anderson had 20 saves in a shutout win to stretch Amherst's
unbeaten streak to 13 games (11-0-2).

AMHERST, MA – The 7th-ranked Amherst College men’s hockey team increased its unbeaten streak to 13 games this afternoon with a second consecutive 4-0 win, this time over the University of Southern Maine Huskies. The Lord Jeffs scored three goals in less than four minutes late in the third period to pull out the win.

While Amherst was 33 seconds into a penalty kill midway through the first period, sophomore defender Mike Baran (Duxbury, MA) was called for an interference penalty. The Lord Jeffs would have to withstand 1:27 of 5-on-3 hockey to stay even with the Huskies. Amherst was up to the task, holding Southern Maine off the board without junior goaltender Cole Anderson (Sylvan Lake, Alberta) needing to make more than two saves on the kill.

With 7:24 remaining in the first period, Southern Maine’s Brett Kapteina was sent to the sin bin for interfering with Anderson after the whistle. The Amherst All-American backstop continued to take a beating, and with 25 seconds remaining on the Kapteina penalty, Dan Rautenberg joined him in the Southern Maine penalty box for plowing into Anderson on a short-handed breakaway.  The Huskies returned the favor though, and held the Jeffs off the scoreboard while the penalties expired.   

The second period saw each team called for a handful of penalties in the early going, but with eight and a half minutes to play junior Matt Rhone (Dedham, MA) had his best scoring chance of the game. After taking possession deep in the offensive zone, Rhone navigated through a pair of Husky defenders and beat Southern Maine goaltender Tim Gerrish with a snap shot that deflected off the crossbar.

As the final seconds of the second period ticked off the clock, Amherst junior Joe Brock (Cumming, GA) put a nice move on a Southern Maine defender and slid the puck over to rookie Jamie Hawkrigg (Waterdown, Ontario). Hawkrigg hit a hard shot from straight away on the blue line past Gerrish, who was screened by Amherst senior Ted Vickers (Chilliwack, BC) on a crashing run to the net. Sophomore Jake Hannon (Williamsville, NY) picked up the second assist on the score with 2.5 seconds to play in the period.

Just after the midpoint of the third period, Brock nearly doubled Amherst’s lead on a 2-on-1 rush. He took a pass while streaking down the right side and had his shot ring off the Southern Maine goal, keeping the Huskies down just 1-0.  

Amherst scored with 4:55 remaining, and then again with 3:06 left to blow the game wide open. The second goal of the day came from Brandon Hew (Fresno, CA) off of a broken play. On a long shot, Gerish was drawn off his line, allowing Hew to put one in from a tough angle behind the Husky backstop. Less than two minutes later, senior Trip Wray (Walpole, MA) scored his fifth goal of the season on a wrist shot from the slot.

Amherst added a power play goal from Brock with 1:11 remaining in the game, closing out a 4-0 win. Brock scored the game’s final goal, with assists from first-year Nick Brunette (Chaska, MN) and Nelson. The score put any comeback hope from the Huskies out of reach, and also gave Amherst three goals in a 3:44 span.

Gerrish and Anderson were both very solid in net, and each finished the game with 20 saves.  The win improves Amherst’s record to 14-2-2 overall and 9-2-2 in conference play, while extending the Lord Jeff unbeaten streak to 13 games (11-0-2). Amherst will take to the road next weekend for crucial NESCAC games at Bowdoin and Colby.