Lord Jeffs Sweep MIT 9-0 on the Road
CAMBRIDGE, MA - The 16th-ranked Amherst College men's squash team traveled to MIT this afternoon for a midweek tilt against the Engineers. The Lord Jeffs emerged with a 9-0 sweep, dropping just a single game while improving to 3-0 on the year.
Amherst sophomore Steve Severson (Mercer Island, WA) topped MIT's Andrew Yoon in the number one match, winning three games to one. After winning the first game, and dropping the second in a narrow result, Severson picked up back-to-back 11-4 wins to close out the victory. Outside of the top match, Amherst refused to drop a single game, winning the remaining eight bouts 3-0.
Rookie Charles Loesch-Quintin (Philadelphia, PA) won at number two, while juniors Brian Warner (Atlanta, GA) and Kevin Cecala (Wilmington, DE) took home a victories at number three and four. Classmate Tom Rapisarda (New York, NY) played in the number five match, winning 11-6, 11-6, 11-5 over John Kucharcyzk.
Sophomores Matt Arnold (Larchmont, NY) and Todd Lavine (Atherton, CA) won back-to-back matches at the number six and seven matches, with neither player giving up more than four points in a single game. Senior co-captain Lee Banta (Westfield, NJ) won at number eight, while classmate Saahil Sud (Brampton, NJ) closed out the win with a 3-0 win at number nine.
Amherst will play a pair of home matches this weekend against Ivy League opponents, starting with U. Penn on Saturday at 5 p.m., and Dartmouth University on Sunday at 6 p.m.
Amherst 9 : MIT 0 ~ Cambridge, MA ~ January 12, 2010
1) Severson (A) def. Yoon (M) 3-1 (11-5, 9-11, 11-4, 11-4)
2) Loesch-Quintin (A) def. Anderson (M) 3-0 (11-2, 11-7, 11-7)
3) Warner (A) def. Zomnir (M) 3-0 (11-7, 11-7, 11-2)
4) Cecala (A) def. Pratt (M) 3-0 (11-3, 11-2, 11-5)
5) Rapisarda (A) def. Kucharczyk (M) 3-0 (11-6, 11-6, 11-5)
6) Arnold (A) def. Lemberg (M) 3-0 (11-4, 11-4, 11-4)
7) Lavine (A) def. Long (M) 3-0 (11-0, 11-4, 11-4)
8) Banta (A) def. Kirschbaum (M) 3-0 (11-6, 11-3, 11-7)
9) Sud (A) def. Mandar (M) 3-0 (11-2, 11-4, 11-5)