Amherst Handed First Loss of Season by Middlebury
First-year Chandler Lusardi earned a hard-fought 3-0 victory in the No. 2 match at Middlebury.
MIDDLEBURY, VT – The 16th-ranked Amherst College women’s squash team suffered its first loss of the 2009-10 season Saturday afternoon at Middlebury College, as the Lord Jeffs fell at the hands of the 13th-ranked Panthers by a 7-2 margin.
Amherst managed to win only the No. 1 and No. 2 matches, but there were several close finishes on the day. As the Lord Jeffs’ top player, junior Hayley Milbourn (Baltimore, MD) earned a 3-1 victory over Middlebury’s Avery Tilney. Milbourn won the first two games before Tilney rallied for an 11-8 win in the third frame, but the Amherst standout was able to wrap up the match with an 11-6 result in the fourth game.
First-year Chandler Lusardi (New York, NY) was involved in a thriller in the No. 2 match, and the young Amherst star managed to win three consecutive games against Middlebury’s Virginia Shannon. Lusardi won the first two games by scores of 13-11 and 12-10, respectively, before closing out the match with an 11-6 win in the third frame.
Junior Allie Dalglish (Fort Washington, PA) nearly gave Amherst a third win in the No. 3 match, but Middlebury’s Kathryn Bostwick overcame a two-games-to-none deficit and earned the impressive victory. Dalglish earned wins of 16-14 and 11-7 before Bostwick took the next three games by scores of 11-3, 11-5 and 11-9, respectively.
The Lord Jeffs will return to action Thursday, Jan. 14, when they host 11th-ranked Mount Holyoke College at 2 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 9 - #13 Middlebury College def. #16 Amherst College, 7-2
1. Hayley Milbourn (A) def. Avery Tilney (M), 3-1 (11-3, 11-8, [8-11], 11-6)
2. Chandler Lusardi (A) def. Virginia Shannon (M), 3-0 (13-11, 12-10, 11-7)
3. Kathryn Bostwick (M) def. Allie Dalglish (A), 3-2 ([14-16], [7-11], 11-3, 11-5, 11-9)
4. Sarah DeCamp (M) def. Kate Savage (A), 3-0 (11-7, 11-6, 11-7)
5. Molly Hubbard (M) def. Anne Piper (A), 3-0 (11-9, 11-7, 11-5)
6. Jamie Burchfield (M) def. Caitlin Demkin (A), 3-0 (11-2, 11-4, 11-6)
7. Annie Ulrich (M) def. Mimi Bell (A), 3-0 (11-2, 11-6, 13-11)
8. Lindsay Becker (M) def. Mary Katherine McNeill (A), 3-0 (11-1, 11-1, 11-2)
9. Al Boillot (M) def. Ginny Wheeler (A), 3-0 (11-5, 11-4, 11-7)