Jeffs Fall to Dartmouth at Home in Pair of Matches
AMHERST, MA - The Amherst College men's and women's squash teams, each ranked 16th in the nation, played host to the Big Green of Dartmouth College this evening. Both Dartmouth teams entered the match ranked 9th in the nation, and showed why with a pair of convincing wins over the Lord Jeffs. The Amherst women suffered a 9-0 loss, but a hard fought final match on the men's side resulted in Amherst's only victory of the day in an 8-1 setback.
Amherst's Hayley Milbourn (Baltimore, MD) had the tough task of facing Dartmouth's Valeria Wiens in the top women's match. The 18th-ranked individual in the nation, Weins proved to be too much for the 102nd-ranked Milbourn. The Lord Jeff junior played increasingly well against Weins, taking seven points off the Dartmouth star in the third and final game.
In the number two match, Amherst first-year Chandler Lusardi (New York, NY) forced Corey Shafer to 13-11 in the first game and narrowly lost the second, 11-7, before being forced to retire with an injury in the third game.
On the men's side, Amherst forced Dartmouth to tough games in every match. While the Jeffs fell 3-0 in the first eight completed matches, only seven of those 24 games saw Amherst score three points or fewer. The Jeffs scored six or more points in seven of the 24 games as well.
Amherst junior Brian Warner (Atlanta, GA) played to a crowd that stood three deep around the court in the day's most compelling match at number three. Warner topped Dartmouth rookie Robbie Maycock in the first game, 11-8, but fell to the Big Green first-year by the same score in the second game. Warner gutted out a 13-11 win in the third frame before pulling out an 11-6 victory in the fourth and final set.
Both Amherst teams will travel to Brown University on Tuesday afternoon in another tough match against Ivy League competition.
Men's Results ~ Amherst 1 : Dartmouth 8 ~ Davenport Courts ~ Amherst, MA
1) Sisodia (D) def. Severson (A) 3-0 (11-4, 11-6, 11-6)
2) Hanson (D) def. Loesch-Quintin (A) 3-0 (11-5, 11-1, 11-4)
3) Warner (A) def. Maycock (D) 3-1 (11-8, 8-11, 13-11, 11-6)
4) Lewis (D) def. Cecala (A) 3-0 (11-7, 11-1, 11-5)
5) Shrubb (D) def. Rapisarda (A) 3-0 (11-5, 11-6, 11-4)
6) O'Toole (D) def. Arnold (A) 3-0 (11-5, 11-4, 11-4)
7) Wagman (D) def. Banta (A) 3-0 (11-8, 11-7, 11-4)
8) Kurth (D) def. Sud (A) 3-0 (11-2, 11-2, 11-5)
9) Wetherill (D) def. Kramer (A) 3-0 (11-8, 11-3, 11-5)
Women's Results ~ Amherst 0 : Dartmouth 9 ~ Davenport Courts ~ Amherst, MA
1) Wiens (D) def. Milbourn (A) 3-0 (11-2, 11-1, 11-7)
2) Schafer (D) def. Lusardi (A) (13-11, 11-7, injury ret.)
3) Lau (D) def. Savage (A) 3-0 (11-2, 11-8, 11-3)
4) Conant (D) def. Scheidt (A) 3-0 (11-5, 11-2, 11-3)
5) Brown (D) def. Piper (A) 3-0 (11-2, 11-4, 11-7)
6) Doherty (D) def. Demkin (A) 3-0 (11-2, 11-6, 11-6)
7) Loucks (D) def. Bell (A) 3-0 (11-0, 11-1, 11-0)
8) Watson (D) def. McNeill (A) 3-0 (11-4, 11-7, 12-10)
9) Lindseth (D) def. Wheeler (A) 3-0 (11-4, 11-4, 11-6)