Amherst Wins Out in Consolation Bracket at 2010 CSAs
In Amherst’s loss to Bates, the score sheet really was a story of three matches. Bates won the top three matches, while Amherst countered with a trio of wins in matches four-six. In the final third of the ladder, Bates was able to pull-out two wins to advance into the semifinals of the division. In the narrow loss to Bates, Amherst got five-game wins from both Kate Savage (Philadelphia, PA) and Anna Scheidt (Fort Lee, NJ).
On Saturday afternoon, Amherst defeated 15th-seeded Hamilton 6-3 to advance to the consolation bracket finale. The win was the third this season for the Jeffs over the Continentals, as Amherst picked up 8-1 and 6-3 wins during the regular season and NESCAC Tournament. Against Hamilton this weekend, Amherst spotted the Continentals a default result in the number three match, and only lost another two bouts.
On Sunday morning, Amherst wrapped up the season with another 6-3 win, this time in upset fashion over 13th-ranked Middlebury. The win was especially sweet for the Jeffs, who had lost to the Panthers 7-2 early in the regular season, before falling 6-3 to Middlebury in the NESCAC Tournament. The win not only avenged those two losses, but improved Amherst’s record to 13-8 on the year.
At 13-8, Amherst finishes the year at least five games over .500 for the second straight season. Head coach Tom Carmean can also be happy as the team’s season comes to a close knowing he will graduate just one senior in co-captain Hannah Merves (Merion, PA) from this year’s roster.
Friday, March 26, 2010 ~ Amherst 4 : Bates 5
1) Parris (B) def. Milbourn (A) 3-0 (12-10,11-8,11-6)
2) Laverty (B) def. Chandler (A) 3-0 (11-5,11-8,11-7)
3) Roller (B) def. Dalglish (A) 3-1 (8-11,14-12,11-9,11-9)
4) Savage (A) def. Neal (B) 3-2 (11-9,11-8,8-11,10-12,11-9)
5) Scheidt (A) def. Bragg (B) 3-2 (5-11,11-6,10-12,11-3,11-7)
6) Piper (A) def. Cabot (B) 3-0 (11-9,12-10,12-10)
7) Hogeland (B) def. Demkin (A) 3-1 (11-8,11-8,10-12,11-2)
8) Dorison (B) def. Bell (A) 3-0 (11-4,11-4,11-4)
9) McNeil (A) def. Maciewicz (B) 3-0 (11-6,11-7,11-8)
Saturday, March 27, 2010 ~ Amherst 6 : Hamilton 3
1) Milbourn (A) def. Whipple (H) 3-2 (5-11,9-11,11-8,11-2,11-1)
2) Thorman (H) def. Lusardi (A) 3-1 (11-6,11-9,10-12,11-8)
3) Default to Hamilton
4) Savage (A) def. Kollmer (H) 3-1 (13-11,3-11,11-9,11-8)
5) Rubin (H) def. Scheidt (A) 3-2 (12-10,6-11,9-11,11-9,11-7)
6) Piper (A) def. Edelstein (H) 3-0 (11-4,11-6,11-6)
7) Demkin (A) def. Lee (H) 3-1 (11-5,11-8,9-11,11-6)
8) Bell (A) def. Platt (H) 3-0 (11-3,13-11,11-7)
9) McNeil (A) def. Prouty (H) 3-2 (11-5,10-12,8-11,11-4,11-7)
Sunday, March 28, 2010 ~ Amherst 6 : Middlebury 3
Individual Results Not Yet Available