Amherst Struggles in 9-0 Loss to Mount Holyoke
AMHERST, MA – The seventeenth-ranked Amherst College women’s squash team hosted No. 12 Mt. Holyoke College this afternoon at Davenport Courts. Amherst, which was playing without its top individual, and with the entire line-up moving up the ladder, dropped a tough result 9-0.
Playing up a slot at number two, first-year Hayley Milbourn (Baltimore, MD) nearly rallied to take the third game against Mt. Holyoke’s Vidushi Gurunada. After dropping the first two games, 9-4 and 9-1, and trailing in the third, 4-1, Milbourn rallied to take an 8-4 lead. The nation’s 51st-ranked individual recovered to steal the match with a 10-8 result though.
Senior co-captain Libby Martin (St. Louis, MO) bumped up to play against 23rd-ranked Pam Anckermann. Martin was unable to take a single point off of Anckermann, as the Lyons' star took the game 9-0, 9-0, 9-0.
Highlights of the day included a pair of 3-1 results in the five and seven matches. Both junior Melissa Moulton (Oreland, PA) and classmate Laurel LaMontagne (Moraga, CA) played their opponents tough. Moulton responded to a 9-4 loss in the first game to take a 10-8 win in game two, before falling in four games. LaMontagne lost the first two games by a combined five points before taking game three by a 9-3 score. Unfortunately, her opponent took the fourth and final game, 9-0.
Amherst falls to 5-5 on the year with the loss, while Mt. Holyoke improves to 5-1 with the win. The Lord Jeffs return to action Saturday when they host the University of Pennsylvania at 5 p.m.
Mount Holyoke def. Amherst, 9-0
1. Pamela Anckermann (MH) def. Libby Martin, 3-0 (9-0, 9-0, 9-0)
2. Vidushi Gurunada (MH) def. Hayley Milbourn, 3-0 (9-4, 9-1, 10-9)
3. Menusha Hettiarachchi (MH) def. Caitlin Demkin, 3-0 (9-4, 9-1, 9-2)
4. Laura Robinson (MH) def. Di Kirkwood, 3-0 (9-0, 9-1, 9-0)
5. Laurian Lue Yen (MH) def. Melissa Moulton, 3-1 (9-4, 10-8, 9-0, 9-5)
6. Elizabeth Wright (MH) def. Hannah Merves, 3-0 (9-0, 9-1, 9-0)
7. Pia Seth (MH) def. Laurel LaMontagne, 3-1 (10-8, 9-6, 3-9, 9-0)
8. Kasia Kolodziejczak (MH) def. Mimi Bell, 3-0 (9-1, 10-8, 9-5)
9. Hillela Simpson (MH) def. Moriah Donelan, 3-0 (9-3, 9-1, 9-0)