Lord Jeffs Pick Up Third Straight Win; Topple Smith 9-0
In the first round of matches, Amherst first-years Hayley Milbourn (Baltimore, MD) and Caitlin Demkin (Pingry. NJ) dominated their matches on the featured courts. The two rookies refused to surrender a single point, and cruised to victories in the two and four seed matches.
Classmate Allie Dalglish (Lawrenceville, PA) squared off in the top match of the night against Smith’s Kate Whitesell. Dalglish escaped the night without surrendering a single game, but needed to pick up two straight points in the third game to finish off a 9-7 win in the clinching game.
On court two, senior co-captain Libby Martin (New York, NY) overpowered her opponent to take another shutout win for the Lord Jeffs. Martin improved to 5-1 individually for the year, with her only defeat coming at the hands of top-ranked Trinity College.
Senior co-captain Di Kirkwood (Bedford Corners, NY) picked up her fourth consecutive win to rebound from back-to-back defeats to start her season.
The match of the night came from sophomore Hannah Merves (Merion, PA) who picked up a come-from-behind 3-1 win. Smith’s Julia Voorhees stole the first game from the young Lord Jeff, 9-6, before Merves turned the match around with a 9-1 game two win. Riding the lopsided game two win, Merves rallied to take games three and four for the match.
Amherst improved to 4-2 on the season with the victory, and will take the next few weeks of for exams and the holiday vacation before returning to action.
Team Results: Amherst 9 – 0 Smith
1) Allie Dalglish (A) def. K. Whitesell (S) 3-0 (9-3, 9-1, 9-7)
2) Hayley Mibourn (A) def. S. Smyth (S) 3-0 (9-0, 9-0, 9-0)
3) Libby Martin (A) def. H. Nguyen (S) 3-0 (9-0, 9-0, 9-0)
4) Caitlin Demkin (A) def. A. Reznickova (S) 3-0 (9-0, 9-0, 9-0)
5) Di Kirkwood (A) def. M. Oliverio (S) 3-0 (9-0, 9-0, 9-0)
6) Melissa Moulton (A) def. N. Gill (S) 3-0 (9-1, 9-0, 9-1)
7) Hannah Merves (A) def. J. Voorhees (S) 3-1 ([6-9], 9-1, 9-4, 9-5)
8) Laurel LaMontagne (A) def. J. Liu (S) 3-0 (9-1, 9-0, 9-0)
9) Moriah Donelan (A) def. R Courington (S) 3-0 (9-0, 9-4, 9-1)
10) Marion Read (A) def. L. Guyman (S) 3-0 (9-0, 9-0, 9-4)
11) Maddie Tamagne (A) def. K. Radwilowicz (S) 3-0 (9-0, 9-2, 9-0)
12) Rives Kitchell (A) def. A. Shang (S) 3-0 (9-0, 9-1, 9-0)