Lord Jeffs Suffer 8-1 Loss to Bates in National Tournament
PRINCETON, NJ – The Amherst College women’s squash team kicked off its weekend with an 8-1 loss to Bates College in the opening round of the Women’s National Championships Friday afternoon at Princeton University. The Lord Jeffs will continue their tournament run tomorrow morning in the consolation bracket.
Competing in the Kurtz Cup (B Division), the 13th-ranked Lord Jeffs went up against the 12th-ranked Bobcats for the third time this season. Amherst earned a 6-3 win over Bates on Jan. 15, but the Bobcats came back with a 6-3 win of their own on Feb. 5 in the NESCAC quarterfinals. Missing one of their top players due to illness, the Lord Jeffs were unable to pull off the upset in the rubber match.
Amherst and Bates will both return to action Saturday at 9 a.m., with the Bobcats taking on ninth-ranked Brown University and the Lord Jeffs facing 16th-ranked George Washington University. Amherst will close its weekend with a Sunday morning match in either the consolation finals (8:30 a.m.) or the 15-16 playoff (11 a.m.).
Picking up Amherst’s lone point on Friday was Kate Savage ’12 (Philadelphia, PA), who earned a 3-1 win over Ali Bragg in the No. 4 match. Savage took control by winning the first two games, 11-8 and 11-6, and secured the point with an 11-5 victory in the fourth game after Bragg took the third, 14-12.
Anne Piper ’13 (Bronxville, NY) carried a 12-match win streak into the tournament, but her impressive run came to an end with a 3-1 loss to Mimi Neal in the No. 3 match. Piper took the second game, 11-3, but Neal would win the other three by scores of 11-5, 11-6 and 11-4.
The only match that went the distance was the No. 8 battle between Amherst’s Lena Rice ’14 (Philadelphia, PA) and the Bobcats’ Anna Hogeland. After Hogeland edged out an 11-8 win in the first game, Rice came back to win the next two, 11-8 and 11-4. Rice could not complete the comeback, however, as Hogeland came out on top in games four (11-8) and five (11-5).
Visit CollegeSquashAssociation.com throughout the weekend for frequent updates related to the tournament.
CSA National Team Championship – Kurtz Cup (B Division)
#12 Bates College def. #13 Amherst College, 8-1
1. Cheri-Ann Parris (B) def. Hayley Milbourn (A), 3-0 (11-5, 11-7, 11-6)
2. Ashley Brooks (B) def. Chandler Lusardi (A), 3-1 (11-6, 10-12, 11-1, 11-9)
3. Mimi Neal (B) def. Anne Piper (A), 3-1 (11-5, 3-11, 11-6, 11-4)
4. Kate Savage (A) def. Ali Bragg (B), 3-1 (11-8, 11-6, 12-14, 11-5)
5. Stephanie Cabot (B) def. Anna Scheidt (A), 3-0 (11-3, 11-8, 11-9)
6. Samantha Matos (B) def. Evelyn Kramer (A), 3-0 (11-6, 11-5, 11-3)
7. Rakey Drammeh (B) def. Mimi Bell (A), 3-0 (11-5, 11-7, 11-5)
8. Anna Hogeland (B) def. Lena Rice (A), 3-2 (11-8, 8-11, 4-11, 11-8, 11-5)
9. Jane Mayer (B) def. Caitlin Demkin (A), 3-1 (12-10, 9-11, 11-9, 11-7)