Amherst Dealt Loss by Middlebury in Consolation Finals
PRINCETON, NJ – The 13th-ranked Amherst College women’s squash team closed its season with an 8-1 loss to 10th-ranked Middlebury College Sunday morning in a Women’s National Championship consolation match held at Princeton University.
The Lord Jeffs finish the year with a 16-8 record and will likely land at No. 14 in the final Dunlop Women’s College Squash Team Rankings based on results from the national tournament.
Sunday marked the second time this season Amherst was dealt a loss by the Panthers, who picked up five 3-0 wins against the Lord Jeffs in the consolation finals of the Kurtz Cup (B Division). Accounting for Amherst’s lone point was Kate Savage ’12 (Philadelphia, PA), who made quick work of Molly Hubbard in the No. 5 matchup (11-4, 11-5, 11-4).
Hayley Milbourn ’11 (Baltimore, MD) and Anne Piper ’13 (Bronxville, NY) nearly picked up two more points for Amherst at No. 1 and No. 4, respectively. Milbourn won her first two games but could not finish off Elena Laird, who battled back to win three straight for the 3-2 victory. Piper and Kathryn Bostwick alternated wins and went the distance in their fifth game, but it was Bostwick who edged out a 12-10 victory in the final frame.
Sunday also marked the final team match for Milbourn and fellow seniors Mimi Bell (Shaker Heights, OH), Allie Dalglish (Fort Washington, PA), Caitlin Demkin (Warren, NJ) and Veronica Roca (Lima, Peru). The Class of 2011 posted a 57-40 record and improved its record from one season to the next, going 12-14 in 2008, 16-10 in 2009, 13-8 in 2010 and 16-8 this year. The group of seniors helped bump Amherst into the Kurtz Cup after winning the Walker Cup (C Division) title in 2009, as the Jeffs have steadily climbed the national rankings these past four years.
National Team Championship – Kurtz Cup (B Division)
#10 Middlebury College def. #13 Amherst College, 8-1
1. Elena Laird (M) def. Hayley Milbourn (A), 3-2 (6-11, 6-11, 11-5, 11-2, 11-5)
2. Abby Jenkins (M) def. Chandler Lusardi (A), 3-0 (11-5, 11-7, 11-8)
3. Virginia Shannon (M) def. Allie Dalglish (A), 3-0 (11-8, 11-9, 12-10)
4. Kathryn Bostwick (M) def. Anne Piper (A), 3-2 (11-8, 7-11, 11-4, 9-11, 12-10)
5. Kate Savage (A) def. Molly Hubbard (M), 3-0 (11-4, 11-5, 11-4)
6. Lindsay Becker (M) def. Anna Scheidt (A), 3-0 (11-7, 11-5, 11-3)
7. Amanda Chen (M) def. Evelyn Kramer (A), 3-0 (11-5, 11-9, 11-4)
8. Annie Ulrich (M) def. Mimi Bell (A), 3-0 (11-5, 11-3, 11-6)
9. Katie Yates (M) def. Lena Rice (A), 3-1 (11-4, 6-11, 11-6, 11-5)