- Student Government (AAS)Student Government (AAS)
The AAS represents the student body voice. It makes recommendations to the administration based on student input. The AAS also supports student programming such as clubs and organizations. It approves new clubs, funds student activities, and puts on events at school. AAS members serve on a wide variety of student/faculty committees, share student perspective with faculty members, and affect major change at Amherst College.
Here you will find what the AAS Senate has done in the past, what we do every year and what we are currently working on. If you have any comments or suggestions, please go to the suggestions box tab on the left, email email@example.com or come to our weekly open senate meetings at 8:30pm in the Red Room.
The AAS Senate:
- Funds club events, activities, equipment and other things necessary for the functioning of clubs on campus. For more information visit the AAS Budgetary Committee tab on the left.
- Funds Program Board and Social Council, which organize campus-wide events.
- Supplies New York Times and Wall Street Journals every day in Val and offers onlince access to the New York Times. See the tab on the left for more information.
- Places student representatives on important faculty and administrative committees like the Committee on Priorities and Resources, the College Council and Committee on Educational Policy
- Pays for half of TYPO-X, allowing upperclassmen to take their professors out to dinner.
- Pays for part of the college’s PVTA dues, allowing students free bus service to five-college events.
- Pays for periodic late night snacks in Val.
- Works on projects to improve student life called Senate Projects
- Allows clubs use of AAS vans to get to club events. For more information visit the Transportation tab on the left.
- Allows Amherst students to receive a free yearbook. For more information on the Olio visit http://www3.amherst.edu/~olio/.
- Pays for subsidized tickets to the UMass Fine Arts Center. To see current shows visit https://fac.umass.edu/Online/.
- Subsidizes training for Amherst College Emergency Medical Service (ACEMS) and purchased ACEMS their Chevy Volt. ACEMS trains Amherst students as first-responders and works closely with Amherst College Police to respond to medical emergencies on Campus.
- Purchases movie rights for FLICS, which screens movies in the theatre in Keefe. For show times visit https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/studentgroups/flics.
- Initiates all-school surveys to gauge student opinions and sends all-school emails to inform the student body about important AAS initiatives.
- Has club storage available in the basement of Pond. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Offers free shuttle service to Bradley International Airport and Boston before and after vacations.
- Allocated money to Amherst health services to continue to supply free condoms to students.
Offers free boxes at the end of the year to help students move out of their rooms.