Amherst College Entrepreneurship Initiative
- Campus Resources
- Student Groups
- Community Resources
- Accelerator Programs and Funding Sources
- Important Dates
- Amherst Alumni Connections
- Alumni Entrepreneurs In The News
Grinspoon Entrepreneurship Initiative Spirit Awards
The Harold Grinspoon Charitable Foundation's Entrepreneurship Initiative has announced that 60 local college students and alumni have been recognized for demonstrating entrepreneurial spirit by having launched a having a well-developed business concept. They were honored at the Foundation's annual banquet held on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at The Log Cabin in Holyoke, MA.
Amherst College Concept and Spirit Award winners included:
- DynoTrak - CJ Bernstein '15, Thais Correia '16, and Emily Masten '17
- Pioneer Creative - Khalil Flemming '16, Meghan McDonough '16, and Sarah Jordan '16
- Green Garage - Hao Liu '16 and Eli Harris '15
- Liberal Arts in China Summer School - Hongye Guo '15
A highlight of the evening was a Live Elevator Pitch Competition. One contestant from each of our 14 participating colleges gave a 90 second pitch hoping to win the first place prize of $1000. Thais Correia '16 represented Amherst College in the Pitch Competition. The keynote speaker was Aaron St. John, Founder & CEO of HitPoint Studios,the largest independent game studio in Massachusetts.
Participating institutions for the Initiative which encourages entrepreneurship among college students include: American International College, Amherst College, Bay Path College, Elms College, Greenfield Community College, Hampshire College, Holyoke Community College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College, Springfield College, Springfield Technical Community College, University of Massachusetts, Western New England University, and Westfield State University.
The Entrepreneurship Initiative is one of several initiatives supported by the philanthropist, Harold Grinspoon. For more information about Harold Grinspoon Foundation initiatives, visit www.hgf.org.
- Ursula Olender, Campus Entrepreneurship Coordinator & Director of the Career Center
- Career Center
- Center for Community Engagement
- The Harold Grinspoon Charitable Foundation Entrepreneurship Initiative
- Valley Venture Mentors - STUDENTS WELCOME - meets every 2nd Wednesday in Springfield
- UMASS Entrepreneurship Initiative Socials - AMHERST STUDENTS WELCOME - meets every Wednesday during the semester at Johnny's Tavern in Amherst (8:00 p.m.)
- Hampshire College
- Smith College Center for Women and Financial & Independence
- Steve Blank's Tools and Blog for Entrepreneurs
- Center for Women and Enterprise
- Agora Fellows Program
- Ashoka Fellows
- Draper Richards Foundation
- Echoing Green Fellowship
- Greenhorn Connect
- Mass Challenge
- VentureWell formerly: National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (NCIIA)
- Skoll Foundation
- WPI Venture Forum
- November 6, 2015: Grinspoon, Garvey & Young Conference
- March 2016: Grinspoon Spirit Award Applications Due
- March 2016: Grinspoon Pitch Camp & Workshop
- April 2016: Draper Collegiate Undergraduate Women Entrepreneurs' Competition Trade Show
- April 2016: Grinspoon Entrepreneurship Initiative Awards Ceremony & Banquet
Pathways Mentoring Program
Need advice about choosing a major? Want to learn more about entrepreneurship? Need perspective and/or support on your academic pursuits? Make the most of your time at Amherst, and take advantage of the opportunity to engage with an alum who has been in your shoes.
Get started today!
STEP 1: Read How It Works
STEP 2: Register
STEP 3: Complete your student profile
Step 4: Search mentor profiles and request a mentor
The Amherst Alumni Directory connects you with alumni who are eager and willing to share their experiences and expertise. While internships and specific job opportunities may arise naturally from your encounters, the career network is NOT intended as a job search or fundraising tool. Before utilizing the Amherst Career Network, please view the Career Center's Networking and Relationship Building Online Workshop. Tips: Use employment industry field “Entrepreneur”; use employment title field to search founder, chief, president, CEO, etc.; use additional keyword to search start-up, venture, etc.
Justin Park '10 - Vidaao
Nigel Carr '10 & Christian Desrosiers '10 - Qorax Energy
Eric Glustrom '07 and Boris Bulayev '07 - Educate!
Adam Rodman '07 - Segra Capital Management
Lyndsey Scott '06
Jim Zuffoletti '92 - OpenQ
Derek Ling ’88 - Tianji
Joel Greenwald '82, P'16 - Greenwald Wealth Management