Two top liberal arts schools, one powerful pipeline.
Join us for the first-ever Diversity Career Day, co-hosted by Amherst College and Williams College!
Registration is now open for this virtual meetup, scheduled for Wednesday, October 21, from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. ET. This event will serve as a pipeline for organizations to meet a large pool of diverse students from two of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
Why Amherst and Williams? And why now?
Both of our institutions believe strongly that a diverse campus is foundational to fostering rich, intellectual growth and community. From year to year, our student bodys’ enrollment provides hard evidence of that commitment. Here are some of our most recent statistics for reference:
- Amherst’s student body hails from 48 states, and 54 countries; at Williams, 49 states and 95 countries are represented.
- 45% of Amherst’s U.S. students and 42% of Williams’ U.S. students self-identify as students of color.
- 11% of Amherst students and 16% of Williams students are first-generation.
- 9% of Amherst students and 10% of Williams students are international enrollees.
- Both schools enjoy a roughly 50/50 male vs. female split.
- 55% of Amherst students and 53% of Williams students receive financial aid.
Our event’s definition of “diversity” is an inclusive one. When registering to attend, we ask that your recruitment team specify what specific populations you are hoping to target (i.e. students of color, LGBTQ+ students, first-generation and/or low-income students, international students, students with disabilities, women, students with military service, etc.), as well as what structures and supports your organization currently has in place for these populations (i.e. formal diversity recruiting programs, training or resources, affinity groups, etc.). This level of specificity will help us to market your offerings effectively to targeted student groups.
Our schools’ career centers also recognize that systemic racism -- and a subsequent need to more highly prioritize the hiring, support, and retention of a diverse workforce -- is on many recruiters’ minds this year. As our teams have grieved the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, we’ve also been inspired by the momentum and possibilities driven by the Black Lives Matter movement, and we want to support the organizations we’ve been hearing from who are aiming to be more purposeful in their diversity recruitment efforts in 2020 and beyond, too.
How will the fair be structured?
At our virtual Diversity Career Day Meetup, you’ll be able to engage with students in a variety of formats, including:
- 30-minute group sessions where you can share slides and provide more information regarding your organization and opportunities
- 1:1, 10-minute video chats to connect with interested students
- Pre-event documentation shared with students to highlight your organization's values and initiatives
During registration, you’ll be asked to share the number of representatives who plan to attend the fair; up to 15 representatives per employer are able to participate. Each representative you register will be able to create their own, unique schedule to engage with students. To learn more about these features, check out this virtual fair training webinar recording, which was hosted by Handshake.
Registration is open now, and the low rates are as follows:
- Standard Registration Rate: $50
- Non-Profit Registration Rate: No fee
We greatly value your partnership and look forward to connecting you with our students this fall. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.