The summer is an incredible opportunity for intellectual growth, skill development, and career exploration. Through the generous support of alumni, Amherst College is able to provide financial support for students who are pursuing low-paid or unpaid summer experiences that directly link to their personal, professional and academic goals. This program is jointly administered by the Loeb Center and the Center for Community Engagement (CCE).
How do you apply for funding?
The Summer Experience Funding Application is now open.
Access the funding application here. Please note that there is a single application for internships and off-campus research.
How much money can you receive through the program?
|$3,500||For students who will live at home over the summer|
|$4,500||For students who will be interning outside of the U.S. and/or will not be living at home|
Stipends will be determined based on the support a student receives from their site (housing, transportation, food, stipends, etc.).
What are the application dates?
There will be three funding deadlines during the spring semester:
- Thursday, March 1, 2018
- Sunday, April 1, 2018
- Tuesday, May 1, 2018
*There will be increasing competitiveness as the process unfolds. If you need funding, please apply early.
To be considered for funding from Amherst College, the experience must:
- Be educational and allow students to contribute meaningfully to the organization's mission (substantive)
- Allow students to apply knowledge and/or learn about career paths (relevant)
- Be supervised and include opportunities for regular feedback
- Have a job description and clear start and end dates as well as hours
- Be on site (remote internships will not be considered)
- Foster transferrable skill development
- Meet the Fair Labor Standards Act and any other relevant state, local and federal laws
- Be full time - 8 weeks (240 hours)
Funding is not available for:
- Third-party or fee-based placements
- Opportunities that come with credit
Do you have questions about how to search and apply for an internship?
Make an appointment with Victoria Wilson, Assistant Director for Internship Programs, through Quest or call the Loeb Center at 413-542-2265
Do you need help with your funding application or have additional questions?
Contact the Center for Community Engagement by phone at 413-542-5140 or by email at email@example.com