The summer is an incredible opportunity for intellectual growth, skill development, and career exploration by deciding to complete an internship. Through the generous support of alumni, Amherst College is able to provide financial support for students who are pursuing low-paid or unpaid summer experiences that directly link to their personal, professional and academic goals.
Who is eligible to apply for funding?
Eligible students must be enrolled at Amherst the semester prior to the start of their summer internship and intend to be enrolled at the College the semester after. Students who are studying abroad may apply. Graduating seniors are ineligible.
Please note that if you received funding from another department (i.e. SURF, Gregory S. Call Summer Research Program) to conduct summer research, you are not eligible.
How will students be selected for funding?
All eligible students may apply. However, funding is very limited and NOT guaranteed.
Priority is given to (in order of preference):
- First generation/low income students
- Students who receive financial aid
- International students
- Students who are completing summer opportunities related to their personal, professional, or academic goals for the first time
For students to be considered for funding from Amherst College, the accepted internship must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Be with a non-profit or a government/public service entity
- Be a meaningful, substantive experience
- Full-time and a total of 8 weeks, 240 total work hours (anything less than 8 weeks will not be considered)
- Supervised and include opportunities for regular feedback
- On-site (remote internships will not be considered)
- Foster transferable skill development
- Meet the Fair Labor Standards Act and any other relevant state, local and federal laws
Opportunities found through the following programs are NOT eligible for funding:
- Fee-based, placement programs
- Academic and/or credit-based programs
|$3,500||For students who will live at home over the summer|
|$4,500||For students who will be interning outside of the U.S. and/or will not be living at home|
Stipends will be determined based on the support a student receives from their site (housing, transportation, food, employer stipends, etc.)
Students are strongly encouraged to apply early or as soon as they have accepted their summer experience. All four steps of the application process must be submitted by one of the following deadlines:
- Monday, April 13, 2020 (Priority Deadline)*
- Thursday, April 30, 2020
*Applications received by this date will be reviewed and evaluated for funding first.
- Summer Internship Funding Application Form (found on Handshake)
- Recent resume
- Supervisor Confirmation Form (sent to supervisor via Handshake)
Students must complete all four steps of the application process. Please read all the details we have outlined below before starting your application.
- Officially accept an offer to complete an internship with an organization over the summer.
- Fully complete and submit the Summer Experience Funding Application Form through Handshake.TIPS!
• We strongly encourage you to draft your responses to the survey questionnaire before beginning in Handshake. You only get one chance to submit your answers in Handshake and you can not make edits. Another reason to draft your responses in advance is that you may also be timed out of the survey questionnaire in Handshake. (PDF Application)• Your supervisor will be able to read all of your survey responses. If there is additional information you would like included in your application, but would not like for your employer to read, use this Google form. Any questions or concerns about sharing your responses with your supervisor can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Be sure to enter your supervisor’s email address correctly. See item 4 below.
- Attach your most recent, up-to-date version of your resume to your application form.
- Once you submit your application form through Handshake, the system will automatically email the internship supervisor you indicated in your application an electronic version of the Supervisor Confirmation Form. This must be completed and submitted to the Loeb Center by the next application deadline in order to have your application considered by the funding committee.
• You are encouraged to contact your supervisor after you submit your application to notify them that they will be receiving an email from Handshake (email@example.com) that will include a link to the Sponsor Confirmation Form.
- Log in to Handshake.
- Click “Career Center” in the top menu bar and then click on “Experiences”.
- Next, click “Request an Experience”.
- In the “Experience Type” box of the form, type in “Summer Experience Funding Program” and select it from the drop down.
- Complete the application form with the response you drafted and proofread (see TIPS above). The following fields are required (*Handshake might pre-populate some of this information if your employer and/or your supervisor is already in the system. Make sure to check that this information is accurate before proceeding with your application):
- Job (Type in your job title here. If you don’t know, type “Intern”)
- Internship Supervisor Email Address
- Internship Supervisor First Name
- Internship Supervisor Last Name
- Internship Supervisor Title
- All of the questions under the “General” section
- Click on the green “Request Experience” button to submit your application form.
- Add your most up-to-date-resume as an attachment by clicking the blue “New Attachment” on the left side of the screen.
If you need help with your funding application or have questions contact the Loeb Center by phone at 413-542-2265 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.