What is a remote internship?
A remote internship is a professional learning experience, sustained long term over multiple weeks and conducted primarily or entirely online.
What should I look for in a remote internship?
A remote internship's criteria should be no different than an on-site internship in the respect that you should be completing meaningful work, have consistent communication and feedback from a supervisor and have opportunities for professional development. That being said, a remote internship is inherently different than an in-person internship because there are less opportunities for informal conversations, networking and learning.
When looking at a job description, see if you can notice:
- Does the internship have a set hourly schedule?
- What are the methods of communication, feedback and evaluation of work?
- Does the internship have built-in opportunities for engaging with others from the organization?
- Does the internship specify certain technology needed for the position and/or knowledge of certain platforms?
- Does the work described appear to be aligned with your learning and professional goals?