Gather information. The more you know about a variety of career fields, the more likely you are to find an internship, job, fellowship, or volunteer opportunity that is a good fit.
There are many ways to Explore:
- Read the weekly e-newsletter “Career Columns” to stay informed about career related opportunities.
- Attend information sessions hosted by employers, alumni, and professors about topics or career fields that you are curious about.
- Familiarize yourself with the Alumni Network, and reach out to alumni who have careers that you would like to learn more about.
- Conduct informational interviews with alumni or others in your network in order to explore specific jobs or industries.
- Join the Amherst College Pathways program to develop relationships with alumni mentors.
- Read about a variety of jobs, industries, and career fields through books at the Career Center’s library and through resources on the website, such as Spotlight on Careers, Vault Career Insider, and O*NET.
- Monitor job and internship postings on Quest and other online sites.
- Attend a workshop or speak with a career advisor about networking effectively, and then practice with your family, friends, professors, or previous teachers and employers.
- Use school breaks to job shadow a person who has a job of interest.
- Get involved in at least one campus group, team, or activity that allows you to explore your interests.