Pursue your dreams. Based on all that you have learned through reflection, exploration, and experimentation, you can now decide which job or graduate school opportunities you would like to pursue first and take steps to get there.
There are many ways to Act:
- Build time into your schedule every week to engage in the job search or graduate school application process.
- Research graduate schools that meet your needs and interests and learn about the application process.
- Learn about opportunities for national fellowships and how to apply.
- Review opportunities for on-campus recruiting offered by employers seeking Amherst College students.
- Familiarize yourself with the deadlines for the opportunities you are considering.
- Research organizations and companies thoroughly to target your job search and prepare for interviews.
- Create a professional profile on LinkedIn and learn to use the site effectively.
- Review your online presence on all social media sites from the perspective of an employer. Is it appropriate? Is it professional? Will it encourage them to hire you if they see it?
- Network with individuals who work in targeted fields or companies and organizations.
- Do a mock interview with a career advisor or participate in Mock Interview Days.
- Search for job opportunities through online resources like Quest, Liberal Arts Career Network (LACN), and CareerBeam.
- Attend career and graduate school fairs at Amherst College and the other Five Colleges.
- Develop a “Plan B” in case your first choice does not work out…yet.