Amherst College Recruiting 2013-2014 Student Code of Conduct
As an Amherst College student, I hold responsibility, in partnership with the Career Center, to uphold ethical professional standards while conducting an internship or job search. This includes, but is not limited to, my use of Career Center resources dedicated to locating internships and jobs, recruiting, networking, and funding.
I acknowledge that my behavior directly reflects upon Amherst College and the current and future relationships that it builds for the benefit of Amherst students.
1. I agree to represent myself and my credentials accurately at all times in the internship/job search process. Misrepresentation may include GPA inflation, exaggerated job responsibilities, or overstated foreign language competency.
2. I agree to manage my digital identity appropriately while internship/job searching. This includes ensuring that my voicemail messages and e-mail address are professional and that my social networking pages will not jeopardize my candidacy.
3. In internship/job searching, I agree to contact Amherst alumni/parents for the purpose of career networking courteously and appropriately. I will research specific questions ahead of time to maximize their time and mine. I will not ask for a(n) internship/job. Rather, I will request information regarding how to identify and pursue internships/jobs, and for referrals. I recognize that inappropriate requests can greatly jeopardize Amherst’s relationships, and the perception networking contacts may develop of me.
4. An interview is a professional commitment. For interviews scheduled through the Amherst Recruiting Program, I must give the Career Center at least 2 business days notice if I wish to cancel or reschedule. Failure to do so could result in dismissal from the Recruiting Program. Note: In case of an emergency, please contact the Career Center as soon as possible for case by case reviews.
5. I agree to dress in appropriate professional attire for all interviews unless specifically exempted by the employer.
6. I agree to work with my potential employer to establish and adhere to the timeframe in which I will accept or reject an offer. I understand that failing to respond to an employer by the agreed-upon timeframe is unprofessional. I understand that the Career Center has negotiated the following timeframes for internship/job offers from the On-Campus Interview Program only, unless otherwise specified in the job announcement on Quest:
Offers Received Through the On-Campus Interviewing Program | Deadline for Student's Decision on Offer
- Entry-level offer extended to a former intern: November 1 or 2 weeks after written offer, whichever is later
- Fall entry-level employment or internship offer: November 1 or 2 weeks after written offer, whichever is later
- Spring entry-level employment or internship: 2 weeks after written offer
7. I agree to follow up with a thank you note or email to all employers with whom I interview.
8. Without exception, I agree to withdraw from all other searches upon acceptance of an offer and discontinue interviewing. I will notify the Career Center of my acceptance. I realize that the Career Center can assist me with negotiating with employers if additional time is needed to consider an offer.
9. I understand that if I choose to study off-campus, or otherwise be absent from campus, during that academic term I may not be able to participate in on-campus interviews.
10. As an Amherst student I recognize that I have immediate access to view all positions listed on Quest. I understand that to gain eligibility to apply for Amherst’s Recruiting Program offerings (on-campus interviews and resume collects listed on Quest), I must:
- have my resume approved during the current academic year (seniors whose resumes were approved as a junior are exempt); and
- electronically sign and return this document.
I have read, understand, and agree to adhere to all of the above terms. Additionally, by signing this document electronically, I give the Career Center permission to release any application materials I have submitted to the corresponding employer.
Please sign and date below: