In Case of Crisis
Amherst College and the surrounding community have a wealth of resources to address students’ needs. Some resources are available during specific office hours, while others are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are unsure whom to call, Campus Police can always direct you to the appropriate on-campus resource (413-542-2291).
Call Campus Police when:
- you need someone to arrive on the scene immediately
- you are in any situation that is potentially violent or dangerous; e.g. someone is threatening to harm themselves or others, bizarre, aggressive or unusual behavior
- you feel unsafe for any reason
- you have legal concerns
Town of Amherst Police Department 413-259-3000
Call Amherst Police Department if you would like to talk to the local police.
MENTAL AND EMOTIONAL HEALTH CONCERNS
Counseling Center 413-542-2354, Scott House
9:00am – 4:30pm Monday – Friday
There is a clinician on-call 24 hours a day for mental health emergencies who can be accessed through the Dean on Duty (413-542-2111).
Make an appointment or drop-in at the Counseling Center when:
- you want counseling or to talk through a concern
- you want a psychiatric consultation
- you have concerns about a student and would like support and consultation about how to proceed
Dean of Students Office 413-542-2337, Converse Hall 105
8:30am – 4:30pm Monday – Friday
There is a Dean on Duty outside of business hours by calling 413-542-2111.
Make an appointment or call when:
- you need assistance handling a difficult situation or crisis (if you have immediate safety concerns, ask for Campus Police to intervene first)
Clinical & Support Options 413-586-5555
Clinical & Support Options provides mental health crisis line and assessment for Hampshire County.
FOR MEDICAL CARE
Student Health Service 413-542-2266, Keefe Health Center
8:30am – 5:30pm Monday – Friday
Call or visit Keefe Health Center when:
- you need medical care during open hours
Amherst College Emergency Medical Service (ACEMS) 413-542-2111
24 hours a day
Call ACEMS when:
- you need emergency first aid or triage
- you cannot walk to Keefe Health Center or they are closed
University Health Services (UHS) 413-577-5000, 150 Infirmary Way, UMass Amherst
8am – 8pm Monday – Friday, noon – 4pm Saturday and Sunday
Call or visit UHS when:
- Keefe Health Center is closed and you need medical attention that can’t be addressed by ACEMS. Campus Police can help with transportation.
IN THE EVENT OF SEXUAL ASSAULT
If you or someone you know has had a non-consensual sexual experience, please refer to the Sexual Respect and Title IX website for information about resources.