- International StudentsInternational Students
- Intercultural Awareness Workshop Spring 2015
- New International Students
- Traveling Independently to Campus--Your Travel Plans
- F-1 International Student Information
- J-1 Exchange Visitor
- International Student Orientation
- Travel Information
- Travel Tips & Contact Information
- Airport Shuttle for International Students
- Registry of Motor Vehicles-Driver's Licence & I.D.
- Visitor Visas for Family Member Graduation Guests
J-1 Status -- Language Teaching Assistants.
Each year Amherst College recruits about a dozen international undergraduates to provide assistance in the teaching of French, Spanish, Russian, and German. The coming months will be a busy and exciting time, as you make plans for your arrival at Amherst. One of your first and most important tasks will be obtaining a J-1 Exchange Visitor/Exchange Student visa, the appropriate visa for your entry to the United States. International Student Services is responsible for providing you with a Form DS-2019, “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status,” an official document that is required for the issuance of a J-1 visa and your entry to the United States.
- Forms for Completion—Language Assistants
- Language Assistants
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Information for New Language Assistants
- U.S. Department of State J-1 Exchange Visitor Welcome Brochure
- Travel Information
The “Information Form for New Language Assistants” is required for issuance of your DS-2019 visa document, so please complete and submit that form electronically as soon as possible. In turn, we will prepare your DS-2019 and mail it to you so that you can begin the visa application process (as described in the “J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Information for New Language Assistants”). You may occupy your on-campus dormitory room as early as Thursday, August 21, but it is not possible for the College to provide on-campus housing to you before that date. The “Travel and Arrival Information” will be helpful in making travel arrangements. Please note that the Boston/Logan I.S.A. Travel Assistance is reserved for our full-time undergraduate students. Therefore, you should plan to travel independently from your airport of arrival to Amherst College. Extensive information about the ground transportation options available from various airports is contained in the “Travel and Arrival” information sheet.
If after carefully reviewing the information provided at the above website, you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to welcoming you to campus.
The International Students Office