- New StudentsNew Students
- Spring Transfers Students
- New Student Guide
- Information for Parents
- Important Dates and Deadlines
- New International Students
- Helpful Tips for International Students
- F-1 International Students (Not Enrolled in Another U.S. School)
- F-1 International Students (Canadian Citizenship)
- F-1 International Students (Transferring to Amherst College from another U.S. School)
- Financial Documentation Requirements for Issuance of I-20AB Form
- Maintenance F-1 Student Visa: Staying Legal
- SEVIS Information Page
- International Students--Forms
- Travel & Arrival Information
- Travel Tips & Contact Information
- e-CHECKUP TO GO
Financial Documentation Requirements for Issuance of I-20AB Form
Financial Documentation Requirements
Regulations of the U.S. federal government require that, before an I-20AB Form may be issued to a new international student, the College must receive documentary evidence that the student will have sufficient financial resources to cover any portion of estimated expenses that are to be paid by the student’s family or any other non-Amherst College source for the entire duration of the student’s academic program.
► If you are a recipient of financial aid from Amherst College and have finalized your award: You need not submit additional financial documentation beyond that required by the Office of Financial Aid. Unless you hear otherwise from the Financial Aid Office, you need not submit any additional financial documentation in order to obtain your new I-20 form.
► If you are not a recipient of financial aid from Amherst College: You must be certain that you have submitted the necessary documentation of your family’s ability to meet the full cost of your attendance at Amherst College, including transportation costs and emergency expenses for each of the four years you will attend Amherst College. Specifically, you must do the following:
- Complete the College Board’s “International Student Certification of Finances, 2013-2014" To obtain the form, visit: https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/deanstudents/international and select the appropriate link for “Certification of Finances Form.” Before submitting, be sure that the form has been fully completed, that both you and one parent have signed and dated the form, and that the necessary bank certification has been entered.
- Assemble documentation supporting the figures entered on the “International Student Certification of Finances” form. Documentation for sources of funds from annual wage/salary income should be in the form of a letter from an employer attesting to employment and annual income. Funding from savings accounts or investment accounts should be accompanied by documentation from the appropriate financial institution. Other sources of funding must also be fully documented. Questions about documentation should be directed via e-mail to Dean Michael Ellison at email@example.com .
- Send the completed “International Student Certification of Finances” form and the supporting documentation to:
Dean Michael P. Ellison
Office of Financial Aid
Converse Hall, Room B-5
Amherst, MA 01002-5000 USA
[Please note that this material should be sent to the Office of Financial Aid for review and evaluation, even though you are not a financial aid recipient.]
The review and approval of your financial documentation and subsequent issuance of your I-20AB form can take several weeks. Therefore, the sooner you submit the required financial documentation and the required web form, “Information Form for New International Students”, the sooner your new I-20AB Form can be sent to you and the sooner you can apply for your F-1 visa.