Green Amherst

Fayerweather Hall

Fayerweather
Designed in 1893 by the preeminent architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White, Fayerweather Hall is one of the most distinctive buildings at Amherst. Originally built to house the Chemistry and Physics departments, Fayerweather became home to the department of Art and Art History (formerly Fine Arts), and underwent an extensive renovation in 2001. Featured highlights include expanded photographic laboratories, sculpture studios and working space for student honors projects on the lower level; a lecture hall for 80 and two classrooms for 35 each, all of which are fully media equipped, on the first floor; the visual resources collection of the library on the second floor; and new spaces devoted to fixed image study and a second 2D studio in the attic. Much of the existing structure was retained, as were existing finishes including interior brickwork, terracotta, iron work and wood floors.  The original chimneys were used to provide fire-rated enclosures for the extensive exhaust system required for arts materials.
 

Trees on the Quad