MySSP (My Student Support Program) is a confidential online counseling service offering mental health support for ALL Amherst students via text, phone, or video. MySSP is available throughout North America and many locations around the world, and in multiple languages. MySSP is totally free-of-cost to all students.
How to access MySSP:
Call 1-866-743-7732 (or 001.416.380.6578 outside North America) anytime...
or Download the My SSP app in the App Store or Google Play Store. The app contains access to text counseling and video counseling, and also other wellness support resources.
To set-up the My SSP app on your phone:
- On your phone, search for and download the app "My SSP"
- Create a user profile. We encourage you to use your legal name. When asked what school you are affiliated with, type in Amherst College. You will also choose the language you prefer to communicate in.
- Go to the home page and you'll see two icons in the top right corner. One is a phone, which will allow you to call to speak to a mental health professional; and the other is a chat icon, which will allow you to text with a mental health professional. Both of these are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- When you text with or talk to a mental health professional, you can indicate that you would like to receive on-going counseling, and they will connect you to someone who can work with you within a few days. In the meantime you can use the talk and chat features as often as you need to.
- As you explore the app, you'll find all kinds of resources, from articles on various topics that might be of interest to you to virtual fitness classes.
What the MySSP app provides:
- Access to 24/7 support via chat (text) and telephone.
- Access to scheduled support via telephone or video.
- The ability to match with a professional counselor (multilingual support available).
- Access to wellbeing resources/articles.
- Access to self-assessments for anxiety, depression, and substance use.
- The chance to explore virtual fitness sessions.
*If you would like to provide the Counseling Center with feedback regarding your experience using the MySSP app, please contact us directly. The user experience of this service is very important to us.*